Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOT failure questions

According to the MOT tester he 'revved' the car excessively to try and get the readings to stay within the limits - unsuccessfully.

Maybe putting in the cleaner and running the car for the 1 hour drive (25 miles) to the centre will help for the next test.
    Last edited by pewe; 24-01-2018 at 07:44 PM.

I had my 450 fail a few years back. When the CO was OK the Lambda was high, and when the Lambda was OK the CO was high. Tester reckoned the cat was fuct (it pretty much disintegrated during the test!) and a new one saw it sail through the retest. But, that retest was with a different (second one, downstream from cat) Lambda sensor but as it merely monitors the cat's efficacy, unlikely to have been the cause.

Twin exit exhaust? need to block the 'spare' exit off.

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    Twin exit exhaust? need to block the 'spare' exit off.
    Now you mention it there are 2 tailpipes.
    The car is a rare Highstyle (only 33 made apparently) and the previous owner was a young lad who was killed in a motorcyle accident, and his dad sold the car without any real knowledge about it, So I'm not sure if the twin exhaust was a 'custom' fit or if it is a genuine mod for the car.

If this is the cause, I wonder why it passed last years MOT (done just after we bought it), and which is the 'spare exit' - not to mention if the MOT tester will allow a 'temporary' alteration for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    The car is a rare Highstyle (only 33 made apparently) and the previous owner was a young lad who was killed in a motorcyle accident, and his dad sold the car without any real knowledge about it, So I'm not sure if the twin exhaust was a 'custom' fit or if it is a genuine mod for the car.

If this is the cause, I wonder why it passed last years MOT (done just after we bought it), and which is the 'spare exit' - not to mention if the MOT tester will allow a 'temporary' alteration for testing.
    Either I guess , probably down to their close proximity into the same chamber.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

451s had problems reading from Lambda sensors when aftermarket exhausts were fitted. There used to be a 'spacer' mod for the sensor.

MOT tester should know how to deal with twin outlets - the MOT tester's manual is available online if you want to check the procedure.

Well - after running catclean through the system for 40 miles they still failed the car on an mot second test saying a new cat was needed.

They quoted me £1000 to do the job!!!!!!
    I see the panels are simple enough to remove so I'll start there.

With regard to the cat, would one of these be an acceptable replacement?
    What are the chances the Lambda sensor will need replacing?

Where do I find the engine code?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Don't know the cost for a 451 but a complete (with cat) exhaust for a 450 can be had for £100 and will last at least a couple of years.
    Re Lambda sensor. Probably it is alright, but removing them can be a proper sod. But, you can cut it out of the old exhaust if necessary.

With regard to the cat, would one of these be an acceptable replacement?
    What are the chances the Lambda sensor will need replacing?
    If like my 2010 MHD you will find there are 2 lambda sensors in the standard exhaust system, one upstream in the short pipe from the manifold to the silencer and a downstream one in the big bit.

I recently needed a new upstream sensor and after struggling, ended up removing the exhaust completely, which sounds like what you are contemplating. Removing the exhaust is not difficult but quite long winded.

My last message on thread may be useful.
    http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...ght-EMCL/page3

As this was the first time I had done this I followed the various forum guides........it starts with removing the side trims......honest.

HTH

Thanks guys.

I just noticed I forgot to put the link in my last post.

These are the cat/exhausts I was querying about suitability.

https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/S...%20System.aspx

Not sure why there are so many - different engines? where's the engine code/