Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an MHD that's had the recall Pulley/Belt change work done a good idea

Is an MHD that's had the recall Pulley/Belt change work done a good idea

Me again, still mulling over replacing my lil smart 2001 model.
    While I have read the horror stories regarding the MHD belt issue, I am wondering whether one that has had the pulley/belt recall work done by a Smart garage is a good buy? WOuldn't consider one normally but seems if it's had the work done it might be a better bet, any thoughts/experience anyone? THank you.

Maybe the fact there have been at least 3 attempts by Smart to correct the issue might point to the fact they don't really know what to do to fix the issue....?

John

To be on the safe side go for the 84 turbo model, you won't have belt or pulley issues with one of them. Let alone the fact that it performs much, much better.....imo it's a no brainer.

As said above do not buy an MHD model, there is no real fix.

Smart went all out with the MHD in the last few years of 451 production, and flooded the market with them, so you see a lot of them. But better to buy the petrol turbo or if you can afford it, the petrol Brabus.

I personally went for the diesel Cdi as it gives far more MPG, nearly 80 MPG, but note that all late 2009 modles onwards have a burn cycle, and need some fast long runs to burn soot off. So it is not a 'town car' as such. Earlier 451 Cdi's do not have burn cycle.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 27-01-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Really helpful everyone, thanks for the advice. Colin any way of telling which 2009 models have the burn cycle? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryc View Post
    Really helpful everyone, thanks for the advice. Colin any way of telling which 2009 models have the burn cycle? Thank you.
    The "burn cycle" meaning it is fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). You can tell by looking to see if it is Euro 4 or Euro 5 specification, Euro 4 has no DPF, Euro 5 has.

It doesn't make much difference if it has or it hasn't really.

MOT changes due in May mean tampering (read, gutting) with DPF will be a 'refusal to test' so if DPF equipped car is being considered, make sure it actually 'equipped'.

A slight aside, does any one know why EGR is cooled? To protect components from heat or for thermodynamic considerations?

Quote Originally Posted by Eryc View Post
    From launch of the 451 in 2007 to around Oct 2009 is the 45 BHP Cdi without patriculate filter/burn cycle.

Mine is a January 2010 and is a 54 BHP Cdi with partulate filter/burn cycle.

You can tell from the log book which engine size it is, eother 45 BHP or 54 BHP.

The diesel engine is quiet on the move considering it is just behind the seat, and is low reving, running at around 2000 RPM as the optimum revs. Even at 70MPH is sits at 2500 RPM. Only at standstill do you hear the traditonal diesel sound.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    A slight aside, does any one know why EGR is cooled? To protect components from heat or for thermodynamic considerations?
    Petrol ?

http://articles.sae.org/13530/
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Thanks RIS.

Re burn/cycle. A DPF can if the driving conditions suit it, never have to go through a 'burn cycle', an active re-gen. Passive re-gen is the working model where the heat in the exhaust stream is sufficient to keep the DPF clear (ongoing passive re-gen). Only when driving conditions deviate from the requirements for passive re-gen does active re-gen become necessary.