Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thwart Photobucket.

PB's behaviour and it's impact depends really on what you use the internet for.

Have a look here >> http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=262412 by way of an example.

The photographs make the poster's points (the subtle differences between two configurations of the same engine) that would be very difficult to achieve with words alone. If the photos are visible and are of interest, then something sought is learned. If the photos don't show then the entire thread and information contained within is rendered meaningless.
    Just depends on what you use the 'net for. I suppose there are sufficient photos posted via other hosts of cute cuddly kittens for this not to be a concern to most internet users...

Yes, the pictures are missing but the onus is on the poster to fix it. The Internet needs constant updating otherwise it would be totally useless. It seems to me to be whinging because the owner of the photos wants someone else to do the updating so they don;'t have to bother, that is not the way the Internet works unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Yes, the pictures are missing but the onus is on the poster to fix it. The Internet needs constant updating otherwise it would be totally useless. It seems to me to be whinging because the owner of the photos wants someone else to do the updating so they don;'t have to bother, that is not the way the Internet works unfortunately.
    Why would the onus be on the poster (who used PB oblivious of its subsequent actions) who posted with the intention of giving knowledge to others who have a use for it? Once they've put the information (photos) out there, it's 'job done, move on'. Anything else is like expecting Newton to constantly update Principia Mathematica.

If the onus is on anyone it would be on the viewer who stands to gain from viewing the images. If I subscribe to PB does that unlock the images for me? Not a rhetorical question but an academic one given I'm in no position to throw $400 at PB every year.

If you want to make information available for someone else why would it be there responsibility to do it?

Even the Indian cold callers ring you up, you don't have to ring them.

Tell me your reply isn't serious.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 17-03-2018 at 06:00 PM.

I used to pay subscription mainly to avoid ads when logged on to my bucket. After their price plan change in June last year, only their commercial price plan costing $399 allows third party image hosting. The change came without any warning. Billions of photos across the web were replaced with a simple graphic advising users to upgrade their account. Obviously millions of users were very much pissed off and will probably never remain with Photobucket.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    If you want to make information available for someone else why would it be there responsibility to do it?

Even the Indian cold callers ring you up, you don't have to ring them.

Tell me your reply isn't serious.
    Back to the example I posted. Whoever posted the photos did so at the time in the context of a debate that was then current. Later, much later, I come along and get the benefit of what was posted (if it still shows). The original poster won't give a damn about me, his concern was the debate back at the time he posted.
    Asked though, when he had got from the thread what he wanted, if he wanted his content deleted, do you think he would have said ''yes, tear it down'' or ''no, leave it - it might be of use to someone else''? I'll wager the latter from the poster but PB's actions have essentially delivered the former.

How can you be serious in defending the deletion of knowledge?

Personally I think Photo Bucket should still show the photos that existed up till there cutoff date & any newer photos need a subscription. That way when they changed their rules people could choose an option, to still use or move to another hosting site.

Can’t agree more. Photobucket must be run by clowns like Trump.