Thread: Smart roadster front right suspension collapsed

Smart roadster front right suspension collapsed

Hi all,

I was driving my roadster yesterday (after leaving it for a while) and there was a bang from the front right. I stopped and could clearly see the front right had collapsed. I got under it today and you can see the side that is okay the spring is compressed at the top... the side that is broken the spring is hanging down. It's not obvious to me if it is broken, or if I can get it back in place with a spring compressor? Has this happened to anyone else?

IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dred View Post
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    To just about everyone who ever ran a 450 - and not just once either!

There's no fixing the broken spring (or need of compressor to remove) just replace spring with new - preferably both. Compressor and strut rod holding tool will be of enormous help but (with a bit of luck and salt free roads) it is possible to get the job done without either.

Thanks! Dammit. I think I might get my garage to do it then - the problem is just getting it there.

If the garage is close....
    The danger is of the broken and sharp end of the spring ripping the tyre sidewall. Maybe you can tywrap it so that the sharp end is away from the tyre. Even then, only a small distance and on smooth roads as effectively you have no suspension on that corner.

Jack up offending corner. Remove road wheel and pack with wood and use rope or strong tape to hold in place.

PS. Welcome to the broken spring owners club. Mine has suffered at least 15 spring breaks. Have actually lost count.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG