Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDi limp mode?

CDi limp mode?

Is it really two years since I last visited here? Since being made redundant/retiring I haven't driven my Smart much. Free public transport in the London area reduces the Smart to occasional use.

One such occasion was last week when I had to take my mum to hospital. This usually involves a half hour journey, about 20 minutes of which is on the motorway. Not racing but a "reasonable" rate. However last week on the first hill I encountered, while trying to overtake a Transit I suddenly lost all power. I dropped in behind the Transit and somehow got to the top of the hill, and straight in to a very long and slow queue to the M25. Once I got on the motorway I put my foot down and - nothing. I limped off to the nearest exit and phoned mum to tell her to go to the hospital on her own.

Naturally being law abiding I turned the ignition off while making the phone call. On restarting, the car pulled away very nicely as if nothing had happened. It has behaved since but I haven't been able to get out on a fast road to see if it has cleared properly or if it will object again if I put it under any load.

So, what could this be? It is a 2010 For Two CDi. There were no lights to suggest it was an engine management issue. I do have the "you've missed your service date" spanners showing with a -1 but nothing else. It had its MOT the day before so will have been through whatever procedure the testers use for emission checks.

It hasn't had a REALLY GOOD blast down the motorway for a long time. Should I do that if it seems OK otherwise?
    My name is Dave. I had a named Kleine Calvin but you can call him Calvin Klein.
    I now have an unnamed 451 CDi cabrio

Hey stranger - good to hear from you - even if the news isn't great.
    Hopefully someone better versed in the ways of CDI 451s can give you answers to your questions. But, I can't help but wonder if this...

Quote Originally Posted by dbroada View Post
    It had its MOT the day before so will have been through whatever procedure the testers use for emission checks.
    ....isn't offering up a clue.

Hello again, are you keeping well?

I have only driven the Smart for a little over 1000 miles in the past year. We did do a lot a lot of miles on the camper van though - which was stolen about a month ago.

I'm not sure what is done during the emissions test. When I asked about the emissions the garage owner just said "nothing showed". I wondered if the MOT has contributed but my understanding of diesels doesn't run very deep.

Unfortunately I am a southern softy and this white stuff on the ground has kept me indoors over the past week so haven't checked the car since this happened.

I'm very well, thanks for the enquiry - and trust you are too.

Maybe it was just a temporary glitch brought on by the rigours of the MOT emissions check - which apparently requires that the engine be revved quite a bit. If the problem persists, it will be identifiable by someone here knowledgeable on these (451 CDIs) things.

First thing to do is check if there is a code stored, which there should be.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    First thing to do is check if there is a code stored, which there should be.
    ???
    Where would I find the code?

We have re-planned our day tomorrow so I will get a chance to give it a run to see it the fault has vanished or if it is still around.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroada View Post
    It is a 2010 For Two CDi..
    The clue is here , the euro5 version of the cdi were rife with emission related sensor problems (mainly cos there were so many) giving precisely your symptom.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Ignore it for now and let it develop. I doubt it ever will and just turning the key off and on again will always reset it.

Mine does it when I hammer it but it never gets worse or better, I can drive it for months without it happening then suddenly it does it, once and off then on (while moving) resets it. Don;t "off and on" at night as your headlights flash and that is not a good idea.

Last edited by macbut999; 21-03-2018 at 12:43 AM.
    2001 Jaguar XKR 100
    2003 Roadster Coupe Bluewave Brabus SB2
    2002 Ex Fortwo Pulse

Smart,Mercedes & Jaguar Diagnostics

The pressure sensor was the first thing to go on mine. Used to go into limp mode turn off then ok. Go for amonth then start again.changed that was ok Now changing the temperature sensors done the one on the exhaust first to now going to do the turbo one. But not gone into limp mode on these sensors but on blue tooth code reader coming up with the temp sensors.