Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing hook

Towing hook

Does anyone know what thread is used on the towing hook supplied with the 451.

Hi, if you mean the towing eye that screws in at the front or back, it's a strange one.

ACME 5/8" (8 threads per inch)

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Hi, if you mean the towing eye that screws in at the front or back, it's a strange one.

ACME 5/8" (8 threads per inch)

Hope this helps.
    Sorry - yes I meant the towing eye.
    Thanks for the info - personally I've never come across this thread and am finding it a hell of a job to find any rod with this thread.
    I need to find some bar about 500/700mm with this thread on it for a project so if anyone knows of any a heads up would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    Sorry - yes I meant the towingb eye.
    Thanks for the info - personally I've never come across this thread and am finding it a hell of a job to find any rod with this thread.
    I need to find some bar about 500/700mm with this thread on it for a project so if anyone knows of any a heads up would be nice.

Commonly used on metal lathe lead screws etc

You should be able to get a small machine shop to run you up as threaded bar, as a bonus they should also be able to cut you a standard metric thread on the other end
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 11-03-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Evilution on his Smartmods site sells 5/8 - 8 tpi ACME to M12x1.75 adapters for 27 plus P&P for a pair. Then add long bolts or threaded bar and you can get your project on a flying start.
    http://www.smartmods.co.uk/index.php...details&id=118
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Commonly used on metal lathe lead screws etc

You should be able to get a small machine shop to run you up as threaded bar, as a bonus they should also be able to cut you a standard metric thread on the other end
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any machine shops in our area - will have to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Evilution on his Smartmods site sells 5/8 - 8 tpi ACME to M12x1.75 adapters for 27 plus P&P for a pair. Then add long bolts or threaded bar and you can get your project on a flying start.
    http://www.smartmods.co.uk/index.php...details&id=118
    If I can't find a local machine shop these will be perfect.
    I have two questions for you tolsen
    1. How do you get the fuel economy in your signature
    2. Are you in Banchory near Aberdeen? My brothers and I spent so many happy days messing about in the Feugh when we were kids - under the bridge by the falls watching the salmon jump - as grandma made tea on the bank using her primus stove, kettle and water from the river. Mind you that was in the late fifties, early sixties when you could get to the river where it is now all fenced off behind the tearoom - opposite the car park. Spent most of my childhood along Deeside as we lived in Garthdee on the west side of Aberdeen before the oil. Still miss it even now - although when I took my wife there a few years ago it was all so different.

Answers to Pewe:

1) From "Forum Actions" select "Edit Profile", then select "Edit Signature", then add whatever you want.
    2) Yes this is Banchory, Aberdeenshire and salmon can still be seen leaping in the Feugh.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Answers to Pewe:

1) From "Forum Actions" select "Edit Profile", then select "Edit Signature", then add whatever you want.
    Sorry I didn't word my question well.
    What I was enquiring about was how you managed to achieve the fuel economy stated. My wifes Smart (a 1ltr 84bhp turbo Highstyle) has never topped more than 39 mpg.

Maybe you missed those three little letters? ..... cdi

He drives a diesel , and if you drive a diesel like a **** at <30mph speeds you can achieve 60+
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Maybe you missed those three little letters? ..... cdi

He drives a diesel , and if you drive a diesel like a **** at <30mph speeds you can achieve 60+
    That explains it - I missed the CDI bit.