Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT and Emissions test

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    Sorry - can you elaborate. I'm not sure I understand these comments.
    Merely feeling the coolant pipes isn't precise enough to measure coolant temp. Even when the coolant hits max operating temp, the oil still has some way to go before it hits its operating temp. Hence, oil temp is the protocol as it better exhibits the temp of the entire engine.

Your tester ignored all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post

There are no hoses on the smart that you can grab and tell if it is hot without opening the engine compartment and having done that it is probably easier to stick the sensor where it is supposed to go.
    Lid should be open to check VIN....

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Lid should be open to check VIN....
    On a 451 there is no need to remove the lid, it is on the boot floor I think.

I have made comment to Halfords Autocentre complaining about the errors made by their tester, as well as the fact he gave incorrect advice (not recommendations) as a result of those errors, and this is what they say

"Whilst we appreciate your comments please note that the MOT is a Visual safety inspection that is completed as the vehicle is presented. Please note that whilst we appreciate your comments that the third party garage have advised that the vehicle would need to be run up to temperature for the Emissions test to pass we would simply not run the vehicle for 15-20 minutes before completing the MOT. The reason for this is because our MOT test slots are timed and any delays in testing the vehicle at the allotted time slot would cause disruption to the rest of the centres MOT bookings schedule. Unfortunately we do not have technicians available to be able to run the car for this amount of time prior to completing the test and we would stand by the results of the MOT test and the testers decision. "

Is this within the MOT guidelines - is an MOT a Visual Safety Inspection at the discretion of the testing station and its testers???

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    On a 451 there is no need to remove the lid, it is on the boot floor I think.
    And in the corner of the windscreen

I have made comment to Halfords Autocentre complaining about the errors made by their tester, as well as the fact he gave incorrect advice (not recommendations) as a result of those errors, and this is what they say

"Whilst we appreciate your comments please note that the MOT is a Visual safety inspection that is completed as the vehicle is presented. Please note that whilst we appreciate your comments that the third party garage have advised that the vehicle would need to be run up to temperature for the Emissions test to pass we would simply not run the vehicle for 15-20 minutes before completing the MOT. The reason for this is because our MOT test slots are timed and any delays in testing the vehicle at the allotted time slot would cause disruption to the rest of the centres MOT bookings schedule. Unfortunately we do not have technicians available to be able to run the car for this amount of time prior to completing the test and we would stand by the results of the MOT test and the testers decision. "

Is this within the MOT guidelines - is an MOT a Visual Safety Inspection at the discretion of the testing station and its testers???
    Going there with engine pre-warmed and you sitting in the car with engine running in car park until called is best advice

I would just speak to DVSA about your concerns https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ervices-agency
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Going there with engine pre-warmed and you sitting in the car with engine running in car park until called is best advice

I would just speak to DVSA about your concerns https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ervices-agency
    Who would know that you needed to sit in the carpark with the engine running before an emissions test????

I will certainly be taking it up with the DVSA.

Who would know that you needed to sit in the carpark with the engine running before an emissions test????
    In Northern Ireland , they actually spell it out

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...est-procedures

Whilst you are waiting to be called forward for the MOT test, use this time to check the following:

your car should be presented with the engine at normal operating temperature, this will require the engine to be kept running while waiting for the test to commence outside the test hall
    I know the tests are slightly different but I canít find the same advice on the UK site

In Northern Ireland , they actually spell it out
    They sure do.
    But for a couple of things.
    ''the engine emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration, which would obscure the view of other road users''
    Acceleration of engine or vehicle, and what rpm is 'fast idle'?

I know the tests are slightly different but I canít find the same advice on the UK site
    Problem in the UK is that garages want the car at 8am and get around to testing it sometime before 5pm. Testing at point of arrival is going to create some headaches for them and conversely requiring the owner to be there immediately prior to test to warm the car is going to seriously mess with some people's work schedule (those who want to leave it there at 8am and collect at 5pm). Bit of a minefield.

But they are booked to a time on the ‘new’ mot system , so you turn up just before that booked time..

Now of course when they want the car at 8 so they can smooth out their workload for the day, they simply book that time to suit themselves...
    You can ask for a particular time slot (you might have to use a bit of persuasion but it’s easily done) .... and they will know if they have a window there and then of course