Thread: Engine Management light

Engine Management light

Hi all, The 2010 Fortwo CDI 54 Coupe Passion Diesel with over 140000 miles I"m thinking of buying I"ve been told this morning The Engine Management Light has been on for over two years whilst they"ve been running it. IS THIS A MAJOR PROBLEM?

It will be a major problem if/when you try to get an MOT. Since May this year an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp is classified as a major fault (i.e. MOT failure).

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    It will be a major problem if/when you try to get an MOT. Since May this year an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp is classified as a major fault (i.e. MOT failure).
    Beat me to it.

''Simple fix'' Then fix it. If it has taken two years to achieve nothing either the problem is particularly intractable or maintenance is being neglected. I'd give this car a swerve, If it's the higher power (54hp?) version, i'd give it two swerves.

I think I have to agree. Mine is a 54 and though the car is OK I do wonder how people manage to keep tehm fault free with all the crap they put in there t make it Euro 5.

I have had mine about 16 month, it is a 2009 (late) and I paid 700 for it. There are plenty about with faults around that price and to me if one is said be without faults then the sellers are lying.

As I said on your other thread, at that mileage give it a miss. Get one under 70K miles.

As for the engine management light, well with a OBII Code reader plugged into the diagnostic plug, you can read the fault code, sort out the fault, and cancel the engine management light afterwards.

i did that last year with the engine management light coming on due to lack of air to the supercharger, and all it needed was a new air filter to sort it, the original filter was manky as it was 7 years old on, as its not easy to get in and replace it on the Cdi, then canceled the fault and thus engine management light with code reader. (A tenner from Ebay).