Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What spark plugs for 0.9l Turbo Smart ForFour

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Corona discharge in distributor cap. My tuppence worth.

You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Perhaps the points are burnt causing to small dwell angle resulting in weak spark.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Perhaps the points are burnt causing to small dwell angle resulting in weak spark.
    Yeah, that'll be it

I put the spark plugs back in to get a better video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1YKl3MkNnE

If it was driving anywhere near acceptable I'd get it to a local garage but I dont exactly want to drive it as is

Just out of interest.... if you start the car from cold and it is misfiring, if you (after a brief period of warm-up) switch it off then restart - does it still misfire?
    Reason I ask is that eleswhere on the 'net there's a guy with a misfire from cold which is alleviated by switching off/on. The suggestion there is cam position sensor (which your car has I think). Like a CPS though, I'm sceptical of them playing up when still cold. That said, the cam PS is there only for initial start up I think. Thereafter the crank PS takes over.

To be honest I've not let it warm up because of how aggressively its acting. If we give it a bit of revs its fine although still sounds like its missing so maybe its fine because of the inertia?

Spark plugs arrived today so I'll get them in and if its no good I'll start working through the list of possibilities.

Feel out the individual branches - inlet and exhaust manifolds - as early as possible as more noticeable from cold. This is the best indication (at this stage) of a particular cylinder misfiring and of a sticking inlet valve. Once the engine has gained heat, conduction makes the above tests less conclusive.

Dodgy injector

I'm just wondering if you could disable ignition , remove plugs , try cranking and see if a single plug hole does not spew atomised fuel

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Dodgy injector
    A possibility - delivering no fuel or failing to atomise properly. To test, if the offending cylinder can be identified, swapping injectors and watching the problem shift to another cylinder would be proof enough.

OK so I've had another look replaced spark plugs and ignition coils. Got a "cylinder 3 misfire" so I moved the injectors one cylinder over and still got a "cylinder 3 misfire"...

Now worrying it might not have compression suddenly :/

Can anyone tell me which cylinder is 3 when looking at the engine from the back of the car. Is it the one to the left or the one to the right?