Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 52 of 52

Thread: Ryobi strimmer

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    BANCHORY
    Posts
    3,301
    Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    If the pop-off and re-seat pressures are found to be correct, that does imply the height of the inlet needle valve is correct also?
    Means you have right spring and needle valve is in good working order. Does not necessarily mean height of metering lever is right. That is checked with a gauge. End of metering lever is either 1.5 mm below seal surface or flush on most Walbro carbs.
    Check membrane and metering lever. Membrane goes stiff as it ages or if exposed to too much carb cleaner. Hard start with stiff membrane.
    I prefer the older Walbro carbs that do not have Welch plug but a removable plate. Makes it a whole lot easier to clean out the fine bores. Many smaller carbs do not have check valve. The screen does the job in lieu. A holed screen also makes hard start. Have repaired quite a few carbs where owner has poked hole through the screen. Therefore do not poke anything into the bores unless you know what is inside.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ecosse
    Posts
    3,604
    Cheers TK.


    Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Means you have right spring and needle valve is in good working order. Does not necessarily mean height of metering lever is right. That is checked with a gauge. End of metering lever is either 1.5 mm below seal surface or flush on most Walbro carbs.
    How do I know if it should be flush or 1.5mm below? Can that be taken as 'acceptable range'?

    Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Check membrane and metering lever. Membrane goes stiff as it ages or if exposed to too much carb cleaner. Hard start with stiff membrane.
    Is that then the real reason why small handheld pingers end up being hard to start?
    Initially, when I first get my gash engines, I start (or attempt) them foie gras - fuel straight down the carb mouth. That will often bring a recalcitrant motor to life. Stiff membrane?

    Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I prefer the older Walbro carbs that do not have Welch plug but a removable plate. Makes it a whole lot easier to clean out the fine bores. Many smaller carbs do not have check valve. The screen does the job in lieu. A holed screen also makes hard start. Have repaired quite a few carbs where owner has poked hole through the screen. Therefore do not poke anything into the bores unless you know what is inside.
    The motors coming my way tend not to have their carbs opened up (straight to repair shop when fail to start and if fresh fuel doesn't work, scrapped as uneconomical to repair). Ageing of parts - eg, membrane is probably my bugbear.

    Fuelling aside, do you find the ignition systems reliable (duff plugs, dodgy wires to kill switches excepted) ie, the main coil and transducer are trouble-free?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •