Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryobi strimmer

Thanks again. 22 for the 2nd hand engine is perhaps the way to go. Just impossible to forecast for how long my shoestring repair will last.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Thanks again. 22 for the 2nd hand engine is perhaps the way to go. Just impossible to forecast for how long my shoestring repair will last.
    Check the garden centres for one with a goosed crank - common I'm told.
    Piston slap and potentially a compromised heat path (ring belt) may ultimately be its undoing. It's not severely thermally loaded (as per a 400hp/litre 2T) so probably fine there but piston slap will eventually break the skirt. Replacing the bearings if necessary wont tax you. Just run it!

That it's been brought back from terminal oil starvation is testimony to the benefits of simplicity of these cheapest of all engines. There never has been and never will be a 4-stroke that would survive that. Worth bearing in mind when 2T is finally offered for road transportation and the prejudices of the ignorant are voiced as loudly as ignorance usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    That it's been brought back from terminal oil starvation is testimony to the benefits of simplicity of these cheapest of all engines.
    Engine and the rest of this Ryobi is of course made in China.

If it was me , Id ask to borrow something of his ......... you can probably guess the rest of the story .........

How someone can be so dim witted as to run a 2 stroke without the requisite oil mix and then just attempt to bring it back and say it just wont work is beyond me ..... they deserve some karma
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    If it was me , I’d ask to borrow something of his .........
    His wallet or credit card.....

Compression is improving. Was around 8 bar after reassembly. Now nearly 10 bar.

Engine seems to have plenty of power, no worse than before the mishap. Spark plug looks normal light brown with no soot formation. As usual I always set 2 stroke engines on the rich side to ensure sufficient cooling and lubrication.
    Last edited by tolsen; 05-08-2018 at 12:34 PM.

As usual I always set 2 stroke engines on the rich side to ensure sufficient cooling and lubrication.
    Contrary to what someone indoctrinated in 4T thinking may consider good practice, avoiding running a 2T lean is good for a number of reasons - fuel efficiency being one of them...

Looks like your rings have re-bedded to up the compression pressure. Hope that isn't excessive wear after their previous trauma that will ultimately see them fail. Might be worth ordering a set of new rings via R-I-S's link. For all the price of them, it would safeguard against a number of potentially negative scenarios.

Those rings are very cheap and I would have bought them were I to keep this strimmer. Sold it this morning to a woman in Fyfe who will collect on Wednesday so not sufficient time.

Sold it this morning to a woman in Fyfe who will collect on Wednesday so not sufficient time.
    Fvck!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Fvck!!!!!!
    I think the Fyfe wifie does not frequent Smart forums.