Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrolux fridge just failed

Electrolux fridge just failed

Fridge failed after only 32 years. Milk gone sour and my mackerel had a rather pungent fishy smell. That was how became aware something was not right.

They do not make them the way they used to.

Anyway turns out only the thermostat has given up the ghost and a new one is less than five Pounds inclusive of postage.

Have now bypassed thermostat and it is running on a timer to keep the other half happy.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

They certainly don't make stuff like they use too anymore.!!! We have a Hotpoint tumble dryer which is now well over 40-years old and is still going strong, o.k. it's not used every day now since the kids have gone but it probably gets used around 3x times a week on average, it has had one of each of the 2x belts replaced and that was only in the last couple of years, plus one set of drum bearings which are merely strips of plastic around the outside of the drum.
    To be honest we would be wary of replacing it with a new model as so many seem to just burst into flames, for whatever reason.???
    Fortunately though we don't have too as I expect at least another 20-years service out of this one....LOL

A fridge only lasting 32 years is unacceptable. My mother has a freezer my grandfather bought in 1956 which is still running perfectly. Hinges, seals, light, plastic parts etc still as new in spite its age of 62.

On the plus side my Electrolux fridge never blew any of its two light bulbs. I hear owners of modern fridges say their light bulbs do not even last a full year.

I was thinking that the other day. My mouse mat got sticky because I have been doing a lot of mechanical stuff and googling so I decided to wash it. It has holes, look like a mouse chewed it. I bought it in 1990, it should last longer than that.

On another note, I didn't realise you had fridges North of the border, I thought you Hyperborians still used caves to keep stuff cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I was thinking that the other day. My mouse mat got sticky because I have been doing a lot of mechanical stuff and googling so I decided to wash it. It has holes, look like a mouse chewed it. I bought it in 1990, it should last longer than that.

On another note, I didn't realise you had fridges North of the border, I thought you Hyperborians still used caves to keep stuff cold.
    The last UK fridge and freezer manufacturer was up north in Wick. You cannot go much further north than that on mainland Britain.

As regards mouse mats, I cannot remember when I last used one. perhaps 15 years ago. Got a door mat though in the matwell. It is from 1982 but still showing very little wear. Made from proper stuff - coconut. Won't be changing it mainly because I believe modern man made materials will be inferior unless I can find a cheap one in a Lidl special buy.

What is this !

curmudgeon corner ?

You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    What is this !

curmudgeon corner ?

We are only trying to keep the forum busy and have run out of Smart topics.

Talking of Smart my drivers window packed up. On closer inspection some toe rag at Garstang Autojumble has pushed my outer panel in, right in the middle and I suspect the bar behind has bent in. Going to have to pull it apart.

Not worked out yet why it has made my ABS light come on.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    We are only trying to keep the forum busy and have run out of Smart topics.
    Ohhh

Shall we just see if we can get the website name changed by deed poll ?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

So while we are off topic I just found the problem with my BMW. Someone put the wrong O ring on the oil pump cover plate so > 1 mm end float for the pump components. 75 PSI on cranking now, hopefully it has not suffered too much from the ride I gave it with no oil pressure.