Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel balancing - dynamic balancing weights

Wheel balancing - dynamic balancing weights

After I had to hand in my hand guns, I still got lots of ammo that I no longer need so I thought I could use them to dynamically balance my wheels. This is 4.5 mm BB air gun ammo. Got tons of it. The plan is to break top beads on my tyres and pour in about about 90 grams into each wheel. Canít get the ammo through the valve as its bore is only 3 mm.
    Videos to follow showing how this is supposed to work.
    Last edited by tolsen; 02-09-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Have you been drinking?

Sounds like a great way to shot blast the inside of your wheels at low speeds.

I emptied my Tonic water bottle last night. Have now connected bottle to the chuck of a drill to demonstrate dynamic balancing of Tonic water bottles with 4.5 mm BB air gun ammo.

Above is before adding the BBs for dynamic balancing. Bottle just wobbles and would break if I ran drill faster and therefore would be unable to show you my next video.

Now we have added about 30 grams of BBs and you will see my Tonic water becomes perfectly balanced.

Maximum drill speed is 1500 RPM.

We will soon test the BBs in a wheel. I have read the metod is less suitable for low profile tyres but should work fine with my narrow front wheels.

It will not work on a tyre. You will end up looking like a kangaroo going down the road with a wheel bearing estimated life expectancy measured in nanoseconds.

You need to stick a lump of blutack on one side of the bottle to simulate imbalance on the wheel.

We are 199% confident the method will work in a sufficiently Smart wheel.

I was wondering whether steel balls would be too heavy and just remain at the bottom of wheel.
    When checking equilibrium between centripetal force and gravity I found the mass simply cancels out.
    Angular velocity at equilibrium point is only 5.9 rad/s. That is a Smart vehicle speed of only 6 km/h or 3.8 mph.

When the force created by the angular velocity of the ball is greater than gravity then the ball will go round with the wheel. When the wheel is not rotating the ball will stay at the bottom. Between those two points all the balls will have different velocities and be heading in random directions. They will never account for a fixed imbalance in the wheel, they will stick randomly on the outside of the inner surface of the tyre and may or may not create imbalance greater or less than the imbalance of the wheel. If you polish the inside of the tyre so that the balls are free to roll then it may in certain circumstances balance itself.

It will not work.

Weigh your balls then stick a lump of blu tack of half that weight to the outside of the bottle in one place. See what happens.

You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!