Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel balancing - dynamic balancing weights

Hybrid View

Wheel balancing - dynamic balancing weights

After I had to hand in my hand guns, I still got lots of ammo that I no longer need so I thought I could use them to dynamically balance my wheels. This is 4.5 mm BB air gun ammo. Got tons of it. The plan is to break top beads on my tyres and pour in about about 90 grams into each wheel. Canít get the ammo through the valve as its bore is only 3 mm.
    Videos to follow showing how this is supposed to work.
    Last edited by tolsen; 02-09-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Have you been drinking?

Sounds like a great way to shot blast the inside of your wheels at low speeds.

I emptied my Tonic water bottle last night. Have now connected bottle to the chuck of a drill to demonstrate dynamic balancing of Tonic water bottles with 4.5 mm BB air gun ammo.

Above is before adding the BBs for dynamic balancing. Bottle just wobbles and would break if I ran drill faster and therefore would be unable to show you my next video.

Now we have added about 30 grams of BBs and you will see my Tonic water becomes perfectly balanced.

Maximum drill speed is 1500 RPM.

We will soon test the BBs in a wheel. I have read the metod is less suitable for low profile tyres but should work fine with my narrow front wheels.

It will not work on a tyre. You will end up looking like a kangaroo going down the road with a wheel bearing estimated life expectancy measured in nanoseconds.

You need to stick a lump of blutack on one side of the bottle to simulate imbalance on the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    After I had to hand in my hand guns, .
    Was this due to the recent legislation that requires registration? If so, why didn't you go through the process?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Was this due to the recent legislation that requires registration? If so, why didn't you go through the process?
    In Scotland, any person owning an air gun exceeding a muzzle energy of 1 Joule needs an Air Weapen Licence costing £72 and only valid for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    In Scotland, any person owning an air gun exceeding a muzzle energy of 1 Joule needs an Air Weapen Licence costing £72 and only valid for five years.
    Cheers TK, I thought it was along those lines.
    Pay and display or are there checks similar to those for FAC?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Cheers TK, I thought it was along those lines.
    Pay and display or are there checks similar to those for FAC?
    Less strict and no need for a safe to store air weapons but you still must have a good reason to own one.

Just found out I could have kept my Marksman BB hand gun. Calculated its muzzle energy and found it is less than the 1 Joule limit. Muzzle speed (v) 200 ft/s and BB weight (m) 0.34 g hence muzzle energy (ME) becomes:

ME = 1/2 mv2 = 0.63 Joule.

My grandfather gave me that gun on my fifth birthday. What a shame it is gone!