Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel balancing - dynamic balancing weights

Success.

Just back after road trials with my Kangoo Trekka. I added 88 grams of 4.5 mm steel BBs to each front wheel. This car had pronounced steering wheel vibration at 60 mph. Now completely gone.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

The technique is known and proven to work; you can buy Dyna beads for this purpose, but they are much smaller and not made from steel. Consider what happens at lower speeds when the BBs do not have sufficient velocity to stay attached to the tyre for the full rotation, they will drop down and clatter against the wheel. Not so bad if you have steel wheels I suppose, apart from sounding like a pair of maracas.

I think I'll stick with getting the tyres properly balanced to start with.

I think the only reason why Dynabeads are smaller is for them to fit through the filler valve. If they did not, only men of steel like me owning a tyre changer would buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    Consider what happens at lower speeds when the BBs do not have sufficient velocity to stay attached to the tyre for the full rotation, they will drop down and clatter against the wheel. Not so bad if you have steel wheels I suppose, apart from sounding like a pair of maracas.
    The speed the MOT tester spins the wheel listening for roughness in wheel bearings?.....

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    The speed the MOT tester spins the wheel listening for roughness in wheel bearings?.....
    No problem as I am fortunate enought to own special MOT wheels.

This reminds me of Centramatic Automatic Wheel Balancers that are used on trucks in the States.

They use steel balls & fluid inside a circular tube that is sandwiched between the wheel & hub.

I think you should live in a proper place where the council take your crap away rather than having to hide it in unusual places.

This is single plain dynamic balancing so will therefore not work on wide and low profile tyres. Dynabead recommends balancing beads down to 70 profile tyres and only as "supplementary" balancing on lower than 70 profile tyres. I have now tested the steel BBs on the front wheels of my Smart 450. The tyres are 145/65-R15 so rather narrow for a 15" wheel. Found they work fine althought there is a strange kind of noise from them when proceeding at very slow speed.

I've no qualms here other than the choice of lead.
    Being soft it will eventually wear down to dust. Take care when it comes time to release air pressure.
    Acceptable for yourself doing your own maintenance and fitting/removal but not if such a wheel were presented to a commercial tyre fitter (who releases air pressure using the bead breaker). Exposing others to carcinogens just isn't acceptable.

Small steel ball bearings are easily bought loose from cycle shops if any one else is tempted to try this.

These are NOT lead shots but premium grade copper coated STEEL BBs 4.5 mm in diameter bought from Walmart somewhere in Houston, TX, the gun capital of our planet.