Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric window switch

Electric window switch

My wife had a problem today when her driver side electric window stopped working in the open position.
    A local mechanic got it closed for her but said it needed a new window switch and tht she should get one off ebay to keep the cost down.
    I've only been able to find one second hand and they are asking £30 for it.

So my questions
    - Is it likely the switch has just failed, or is it possible it could be fixed with a clean?
    - Are the drivers and passenger switches on the drivers door interchangeable (as a temporary measure)?
    - Are the passenger door switch and the two on the drivers door interchangeable?
    - How easy are they to get out?
    And lastly
    - does anyone have one to sell or know where I could get one?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    My wife had a problem today when her driver side electric window stopped working in the open position.
    A local mechanic got it closed for her but said it needed a new window switch and tht she should get one off ebay to keep the cost down.
    I've only been able to find one second hand and they are asking £30 for it.

So my questions
    - Is it likely the switch has just failed, or is it possible it could be fixed with a clean?
    - Are the drivers and passenger switches on the drivers door interchangeable (as a temporary measure)?
    - Are the passenger door switch and the two on the drivers door interchangeable?
    - How easy are they to get out?
    And lastly
    - does anyone have one to sell or know where I could get one?

Thanks.
    Test it !

And check the base price with the ultimate source: smart before going elsewhere
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Less than £15 each from Smart. Part number is A4519051800.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Thanks for the info.
    My wife was obviously misled by the local mechanic a local Merc garage is quoting £14.80 inc vat.- although I did find them on one Smart spares site (new) for £24 + £4.50 delivery - I have ordered one from dealer and will fit at the weekend.
    Thanks again.

I am convinced you can open out and clean contacts on the faulty switch. Both window switches failed on my 450. Took less than 30 minutes to remove from car, open out, clean their contacts and refit. These are now 16 years old and still working like new.

The dealer hasn't got any and it'll be after the weekend before they can get them in and we won't be back in town for 10 days.
    So I was going to have a go at cleaning them at the weekend - but first I have to figure how to get the switch console out of the door panel without breaking/damaging it.

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    The dealer hasn't got any and it'll be after the weekend before they can get them in and we won't be back in town for 10 days.
    So I was going to have a go at cleaning them at the weekend - but first I have to figure how to get the switch console out of the door panel without breaking/damaging it.
    Iím not sure what mechanism holds them in on the smart, but Typically on these sort of things you need access to the rear of the switch to squeeze some locking tangs inwards , to then allow the switch to be pushed through into the cabin.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

I guess there will be some plastic catch holding switch in place. That's how it is a the 450 which I know in and out now.
    http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...=window+switch

The window switches are the same in a 2018 mercedes artic truck. That i drive and my 451 cdi 2010. So try a truck dealer

I took the switch out of the door panel today.

It is suffering what is, I believe, a common problem - the cap has cracked at the pivot point because the material is very thin so it doesn't 'rock' and touch the close contact.

Fortunately I didn't order one the other day because the switches are not interchangeable and the drivers switch part number is A4519051700 - so I'll order one and get it next week when we're in town.

Thanks for all the input.