Thread: Yellow warning triangle ! lit constantly & no hill start

Hybrid View

Yellow warning triangle ! lit constantly & no hill start

Hi

Just wondered if anyone can advise me what the problem is with my smart fortwo 2006.
    The yellow warning triangle is on constantly & I have no hill start function.
    On Monday of this week I hit a spillage on the road and the car just spun with no warning which was very frightening.
    I do not have the traction light showing due to the yellow triangle with an exclamation light showing.
    Any thoughts as to what it can be?
    I did have it put on the machine and they said it was the steering sensor but wanted to see what anyone else thought.
    Many thanks

There's an outside chance it could be the brake switch. Check by doing the following. Start engine and engage first gear by pushing gear lever left then forward. Do not at any point put your foot on the footbrake. If the car drives with the light out but the light illuminates when you first press the brake pedal then the switch needs to be replaced.
    If the 'machine' is STAR and it read steering sensor fault, then that is the cartridge behind the steering wheel and the last time I heard a price for it, I nearly fainted.
    As you are aware (after your spin), your car is in a dangerous state as none of the safety systems are working and if ever a car needed them, it's a fortwo.

Thanks for your response.
    I will try what you say.
    I have looked at the prices of a steering sensor and they start at around 50.00 - does this sound about right?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceytopcat View Post
    Thanks for your response.
    I will try what you say.
    I have looked at the prices of a steering sensor and they start at around 50.00 - does this sound about right?
    thanks
    The steering angle sensor will be much more expensive than that for a new part, but a secondhand one could be 50. People often refer to this part a "clockspring" or "rotary coupling" or (incorrectly) a "squib" or "slip ring".

thanks
    Add a zero to the end.....

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Add a zero to the end.....
    Is this the part??

smart fortwo.jpg

Just to add that the test for the brake switch above does not certainly rule out the brake switch if the test is OK. IE it can pass the above test OK and still be at fault.

Irrespective of all tests I would replace the brake switch anyway, it is fairly easy to do whereas the steering related problems are not and they cost a lot to sort out. Better to throw 20 at it by replacing the switch before you bite the bullet and need counselling because of the potential cost.

Is this the part??

smart fortwo.jpg
    Nope, that looks more like a wheel speed sensor.
    The steering sensor is a few inches in diameter and sits behind the steering wheel. It has a ribbon connector (as seen on printers etc) which can fail as its wound around the top of the steering column and has to accommodate all the wheel rotation lock to lock.
    The last time they were discussed I recall them being priced at 500 and talk of them no longer being available new (though I could be wrong on both counts). They also require calibration on fitting (IIRC) on STAR or similar.