Thread: Sticking rear brake

Sticking rear brake

The rear wheel on my wifes Smart is sticking again.
    I managed to release the sticking cylinder a while back - but time for a replacement I feel.

I see that the shoes don't need removing to replace the cylinder - so for anyone who has had this done or done it themselves,how long should a competent garage take to do the job? - I think my local mechanical repair centre has over quoted the time in their price.

Thanks.

It isn't a big job but no matter what, bleeding is also required. The 'what' though can be a consequence of corrosion which can cause delays and require other parts eg brake pipe.
    If it goes smoothly, an hour to an hour and a half. If it were me doing it, I'd be allowing twice that for any nasties.

Why go to a garage to do such a simple job? Very unsmart in my humble opinion.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

A "sticking" rear wheel might not be down to a sticking wheel cylinder.... It could just be the brake shoes getting stuck on a rusting drum. How often is the car used? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month?

Could also be down to a flexible brake hose needing replacement.

Really needs to be diagnosed correctly, then fault(s) corrected. Just deciding to replace a part on the off chance it will fix the problem is not the best way to solve teh problem.

John

A failed self adjuster (the shiny tang breaks) can cause a binding brake also. As I discovered earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Not everybody has the tools or knowledge or even the inclination to do the job or sometimes the time

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    Not everybody has the tools or knowledge or even the inclination to do the job or sometimes the time
    And sometimes it is because of a fractured wrist

I am assuming that it is the cylinder because that is what caused the sticking last time. In hindsight I should have changed it then,
    However, just heard that my nephew is coming to visit week after next, so I'll wait and get him to assist and have a look to find out what the problem is before proceeding.

Thanks for all your input.

If a wheel cylinder indeed was sticking then you ought to find out why it was sticking. Owner neglect to periodically renew brake fluid perhaps or driving in deep water causing water to enter cylinder and get trapped behind dust seals?
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG