Thread: Remedies for a sticking hydraulic valve tappet

Remedies for a sticking hydraulic valve tappet

I think I have a sticky hydraulic valve tappet. I wonder if there is a simple thing I can do to clear it? Something along the lines of an additive I can add to the oil maybe?

It's either that or is a "leaky" HT lead, but I have changed the leads and still have the noise.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    I think I have a sticky hydraulic valve tappet. I wonder if there is a simple thing I can do to clear it? Something along the lines of an additive I can add to the oil maybe?

It's either that or is a "leaky" HT lead, but I have changed the leads and still have the noise.

John
    Both Forte & Wynns make a hydraulic oil additive ..... I've never had need to use either though.
    Have you tried a couple of oil changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    It's either that or is a "leaky" HT lead, but I have changed the leads
    Maybe take a look in the engine compartment in the dark to see if you can see any HT tracking.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

I would expect the noise from a sticking hyd tappet (due to the excessive clearance being taken up on a part of the cam lobe not designed for that ie, the lift part as opposed to the much gentler clearance ramp) to be a lot louder than an HT leaking tick. HT tracking shouldn't be much louder than injector chatter.
    Another possibility is a sticky valve.

If the tappets can be replaced without disturbing the cam timing, I'd be thinking about replacing them.

Re oil additives. Not sure there's anything out there suitable - the only one I'd recommend that can safely be added to the oil is a 'preventative' not 'remedial' one and MOQ applies.
    I've heard Forte diesel injector cleaner (fuel additive) is appropriately aggressive but as to adding it to the oil - I'd hesitate. Perhaps the Forte if the tappets could somehow be 'marinaded' in it without too extensive disassembly which would otherwise make replacement the obvious choice.

PS. RIS suggestion of looking for tracking in darkness is spot on. Have someone blip the throttle for you while you do it to momentarily 'load' the engine and hence the HT insulation at the same time.

Silver Hook engine flush or try Comma's which you can leave in for up to a week.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG