Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesels

Diesels

Hello all

Had a 59 plate fortwo diesel a couple of years ago.... the 54hp version.... that was nothing but hassle over the 2 years I had it. Got rid, and to grieve I went abroad for 18 months.

Now coming back to the good ol' UK, and am looking for another, that hopefully wont be as troublesome.

Found a 59 plate, but the smaller hp version...45??

Any differences worth knowing about the two versions, apart from the obvious 9 missing horses? Do you really notice the lack of hp? Still ok for motorway cruising at 70ish?

Presumably if it is too painfully slow, I could have it remapped? Any suggestions to price and who? I'm Portsmouth area...

Thanks all

Hopefully this might help answer your question. https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...=info&mod=1200

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Hopefully this might help answer your question. https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...=info&mod=1200
    I had a 59 plate 45 diesel from new for ~6 years 'til I bought my 453..... it had plenty of power and it could do full tilt on the motorway with ease.

Yes the 54 is 20% more , but there's plenty of low end torque in the 45 to start with....

I never did try a 54 so I never knew what I potentially missed
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

The smaller BHP engine will be an EU4 emissions car, pre-mid 59 plate, after that like mine is EU5 emissions and has a DPF filter with burn cycles. Earlier models did not have DPF.

As for additional power, well no compared to a petrol car, but does have good torque, never had it knocking or stuttering on me, but a diesel is like 0 to 60 eventually LOL even with the bigger BHP, but does give nearly 80 MPG and fast enough for me.

Anyway you do not want to take fast bends or wet roundabouts at speed on a fortwo, as you are asking for it to end up off the kerb in the ditch. LOL

The only rare time I do hear the burn cycle, is if stationary at the lights and the burn cycle is active, the rev counter is 1200 RPM instead of just under 1000 RPM, so it is burning fuel.

The best part about my diesel is the low revs, at 60 MPH it is running on 2000 RPM, and is quite a quiet car for a diesel at speed, though you do know its a diesel when stationary by the typical noise of diesel engine.

I am happy with it.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 08-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks all

The 54hp version I had before seemed to have had all the issues on evil's guide... and i remember the raised revs well as the dpf cleaned itself...

Why do you think the increased revs is the DPF burn cycle?

I think it is just trying to keep engine temperature up.

The 45 is the better option because of the complexity of the 54 and EU5 regs.

Not had any issues with DPF or burn cycle, touch wood and thats five years I have owned it, makes it eight years old now.

As for the 1200 reves instead of 1000, only happened a few times, so assume it was burn cycle, as engine was hot, stationary, no A/c on, could not think what else it could be. But not going to argue if something else. Anyway pretty rare as the reves are very constant at idle. Been happy with the car and engine.

I don't know, that's why I am asking. If you leave the car ticking over a long time it will increase the revs but it will also do it again tomorrow or later the same day in some cases. This is why I do not think it can be burning the carbon. It also does not increase the exhaust temperature, I have monitored it with Xentry while it is running at elevated revs and DPF regeneration cannot start under 450C.

It's just another of those things one accepts without knowing why I think.

I just assumed the increase in revs at tick over was the dpf doing its stuff. I was aware that the car needed driving hard at times because of the dpf, and there were times when it went a couple of weeks only doing short runs... it was after these that, when stuck in traffic, or even after a short run home, I noticed that tick over had increased to 1200rpm. Probably 20 minutes later it was back down to 900. If 8 turned the engine off during a 1200rpm "session" then it resumed at 1200 the next time I ran it... or was it after it had warmed up at 900 the next time? Sorry...cant remember.

Interesting that you think the 45hp is better...I remember reading that before, but was after why... as has been answered here, so thanks again all. I'll go for a test in it if it's still about when i return.

Well, whatever 451 diesel you go for, it does give a good fuel return, as just I stated in above comment you get nearly 80 MPG. Really good.

Petrol versions of the 451 are in the middle to high 40's MPG, so its quite a difference. Though petrol have better performance, like the turbo and Brabus.

Just depends what an owner wants as priority. My priority was economy.