Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Smart cutting their throats by going all electric soon?

Is Smart cutting their throats by going all electric soon?

I see the 453 Fortwo and Forfour which is still available as a fueled car for some of this year in the UK and europe, will be selling only 'all electric' cars soon and no longer having fueled cars.

So do you think interest will drop in these cars, and sales will fall off, as they just do not have the range of fueled cars, and the electric car price is a lot higher than comparative fueled models.

I think it is a big mistake, What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    I see the 453 Fortwo and Forfour which is still available as a fueled car for some of this year in the UK and europe, will be selling only 'all electric' cars soon and no longer having fueled cars.

So do you think interest will drop in these cars, and sales will fall off, as they just do not have the range of fueled cars, and the electric car price is a lot higher than comparative fueled models.

I think it is a big mistake, What do you think?
    Yup, lost me as a future customer, the current 453 ED car is totally not fit for my needs.

Get the on-paper range (at least) doubled and more infra-structure in place and I'll jump, otherwise I will be looking elsewhere when time comes to change next.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Yup, lost me as a future customer, the current 453 ED car is totally not fit for my needs.

Get the on-paper range (at least) doubled and more infra-structure in place and I'll jump, otherwise I will be looking elsewhere when time comes to change next.
    If it had a range extender (as available as an option on BMW's i3) would you consider it?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    If it had a range extender (as available as an option on BMW's i3) would you consider it?
    I don't know what that consists of on the Beemer? , is it just an ICE onboard too with a genny on it ?

I don't know what that consists of on the Beemer? , is it just an ICE onboard too with a genny on it ?
    Yep, small ICE (circa 1/3 elec motor's HP) which cuts in at predetermined battery depletion. In i3 it doubles the range but only doubles it because Cali USA regs stipulate that as maximum and still define as EV. Bigger fuel tank extends range further. Would that cover your needs?

As stated, the poor range puts one off, and the range goes down by a further 25% approx in winter cold, so it is even worse range than that stated.

Also the price of an electric car is way over priced compared to the same fueled model. That puts people off as well.

Further to that a home installation of a fast charger unit (3 hours to full charge) will cost you at least another 500.

Plus a resale value of 0 when the battery goes kafurkled.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Yep, small ICE (circa 1/3 elec motor's HP) which cuts in at predetermined battery depletion. In i3 it doubles the range but only doubles it because Cali USA regs stipulate that as maximum and still define as EV. Bigger fuel tank extends range further. Would that cover your needs?
    Yes, if it takes fuel as a plan B , if only to keep you moving at a get you home speed/power.

I think the world needs a transition car like this instead of just jumping from fuel to electric, I think it would get more take up traction (pardon the pun) with the general public .

Yes, if it takes fuel as a plan B , if only to keep you moving at a get you home speed/power.

I think the world needs a transition car like this instead of just jumping from fuel to electric, I think it would get more take up traction (pardon the pun) with the general public .
    Transition car is a good way to view it given that this country couldn't cope with everyone going full electric in a short timescale. With a range extender, it can be a bit less EV so have a smaller battery - battery production being another bottle-neck. RE engine could be done better than BMW's rehashed scooter engine. De-rating a 65hp engine to 30hp is an expensive way to go about it. Bulkier and heavier than it needs to be also.

There are hybrids at the moment by other makes, be it plug-in or not plug-in types.

But again are costly and having a complex drive that will have more to go wrong in future years of use. i pity the secondhand owner.

At the moment I still see a fueled car as being preferable.