Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch Drag Point - Delphi DS150E

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    Why would the manufacturer of the clutch and actuator give a detailed explanation of the steps to go through to set this preload accurately if it was not important?
    OEMs have got things wrong before. VW anyone?

In reality though the actuator merely replaces a driver's left foot and previously all clutches were adjusted to 'just a smidge of clearance'.
    Do it by Sachs' method if you feel that's better. As I said before - contentious. All I know is that my method has worked for me for three years. I could still be proven wrong!
    More generally though, I do believe in following the 'instructions'.

Lots of ignorance out there especially among car DIY and professional mechanics.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Lots of ignorance out there especially among car DIY and professional mechanics.
    I was at that point with wanting the release bearing not touching unless disengaging the clutch so I went and read all about it. The bearings have changed so are designed to constantly rotate unlike the ones from 40 years ago. If you have free play on a Smart I am quite sure the outcome will be worn fingers on the pressure plate.

I recall graphite release bearings were common in the olden days.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    OEMs have got things wrong before. VW anyone?

In reality though the actuator merely replaces a driver's left foot and previously all clutches were adjusted to 'just a smidge of clearance'.
    Do it by Sachs' method if you feel that's better. As I said before - contentious. All I know is that my method has worked for me for three years. I could still be proven wrong!
    More generally though, I do believe in following the 'instructions'.
    It's only contentious if you actually believe that some random bloke on the internet really knows better than the engineers that design and manufacture clutches and actuators for a living.

The Smart has a self adjusting clutch and the preload setting procedure is designed to ensure that the self adjuster works as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFett View Post
    I have a quick question about Delphi DS150E when setting the clutch drag point.

Once the routine has been run Delphi comes back with a percentage figure, what does that figure indicate and should that figure be as close as possible to 100%?

I ran the above yesterday and it completed with a figure of 36% - does this mean that the clutch actuator (brand new) needs re-positioning under the car as I know its requires 50nm of pressure to be applied to the actuator before bolting up with 10nm of torque on each of the three E10 bolts?
    If the measurements in % is the same between Delphi and a MB Star , your % is to high.
    Good working clutch the % needs to be 26% and 35%
    New clutch needs 26 %
    Worn clutch or wiring problems wil show you 40%

What about correct way to fitt the actuator , each to his own

I do it like Pinger is saying , for many years
    Even with a Bonalume clutch kit .
    Never had any problems with all the smarts i did worked on

Quote Originally Posted by ossy View Post
    If the measurements in % is the same between Delphi and a MB Star , your % is to high.
    Good working clutch the % needs to be 26% and 35%
    New clutch needs 26 %
    Worn clutch or wiring problems wil show you 40%

What about correct way to fitt the actuator , each to his own

I do it like Pinger is saying , for many years
    Even with a Bonalume clutch kit .
    Never had any problems with all the smarts i did worked on
    Ah ha ok, that I must admit I never realised before thank you.

Do any of you run any other routines on the clutch and gearbox, I've run the engagement routine that always finishes with an error (which is common in Delphi from what I've read)?

I use a (clone) MB Star.

I do first a manual adjustment on the clutch actuator.
    Then i do a recode of the gearbox
    After that, i do to reteach of the slippoint of the clutch

99% it goes well .