Thread: Drive Shaft Stretch Bolts

Drive Shaft Stretch Bolts

Could anyone point me in the right direction of where to buy a couple of drive shaft / hub stretch bolts at all?

I'm going to be changing out the rear wheel bearings on my 450 and the replacement wheel bearings I have didn't come with them, tried searching but haven't found anywhere that sells them on their own specifically for the smart.

Also looks like I'm going to need a drum puller as I couldn't get the drums off when I had the car up on stands at the weekend.

The bolt that goes into the driveshaft's end - I just re-use the original. Had mine in and out umpteen times without problems.
    The bolts that retain the bearing to the axle are specific (well, nimble Torx headed). There is limited room for hex heads. I ended up having to buy separately from dealer (mine were corroded though).
    Stuck drums are a PITA - whether stuck at hub or shoes.

Thanks Pinger

Isn't reusing them not advised as they're stretch bolts (single use)?

I have the actual bolts for the bearing assembly itself (came with the bearings) but missing the stretch bolts

Different from normal stretch bolts in that there is a very short length in tension.
    Think of say, cyl head bolts where there is a section in pure tension that is at least as long as the cyl head is deep/tall. By comparison, the shaft bolts are barely in tension outwith their threaded section.
    Your call, but I've never had a problem in what must be a dozen re-uses.

It's the long front hub retaining bolts that are stretch bolts and are supposed to be replaced after use. The E14 rear bearing carrier bolts are not stretch bolts AFAIK.

I reuse both front and rear wheel bearing centre bolts. Rear bolts are standard grade 8.8 and fronts are the higher grade 10.9 as more stressed.

I found a way of greasing the rear wheel bearings by injecting grease through a grease nipple fitted in each rear bolts. I did this mod in May 2010 and both rear wheel bearings are still fine. http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...heel-bearings/
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I reuse both front and rear wheel bearing centre bolts. Rear bolts are standard grade 8.8 and fronts are the higher grade 10.9 as more stressed.

I found a way of greasing the rear wheel bearings by injecting grease through a grease nipple fitted in each rear bolts. I did this mod in May 2010 and both rear wheel bearings are still fine. http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...heel-bearings/
    Ingenious solution! Thank you for the information on the wheel bolts, I'll guess that I'll re-use the current ones in that case