Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Nut Sheared - Advice

It's the torque that breaks them. Both of mine broke with nothing more than slow torque via a torque wrench. And, they were correctly torqued to 110N.m and hadn't been in that long. Where OP's broke, was at a reduced cross sectional area due to the hollowed out head. Stupid design.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    It's the torque that breaks them. Both of mine broke with nothing more than slow torque via a torque wrench. And, they were correctly torqued to 110N.m and hadn't been in that long. Where OP's broke, was at a reduced cross sectional area due to the hollowed out head. Stupid design.
    Yeah - agreed about the stupid design. I’m glad I paid extra for the full head version lockers on my 453, the heavy chromed lockers are better than the McGard and the chromed bolts in the kit have solid heads.
    I’ll get a pic sometime
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

My locking bolts were similarly reduced in cross section and it was them that broke. Suffice to say the other two have been binned before they did the same. Never had a problem with the original bolts. Suspect OP's have been over torqued and/or installed dry. Mine are greased and torqued correctly but still the locking ones broke. If I ran alloys with deep recesses, I'd be considering replacing all bolts with new - as a precaution.

I think the main contributing factor was that I was standing/bouncing on the end of a 3ft breaker bar i.e more than 450 ft lb torque

That also explains why each of the other bolts required a considerable time on the impact wrench to breakaway

I was using a 15mm deep impact socket on a 15mm head, not sure what else I could do to prevent damage
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Yours should never have needed 450lb.ft to break them loose. That's near double the recommended torque. Who last tightened them. and were they fitted dry? Tyre fitters were notorious for banging them up solid with air guns. Maybe not so much now. Then again...

Suspect OP's have been over torqued and/or installed dry. Mine are greased and torqued correctly but still the locking ones broke. If I ran alloys with deep recesses, I'd be considering replacing all bolts with new - as a precaution.
    Up until now I had only been greasing the threads, not the shoulder. Since the bolt sheared I have removed all the others with the impact wrench, and greased the shoulder as well

I am also going to replace the whole set with these once I get home

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322324856512

17mm solid heads and a BZP finish which might help, none of that hollow nonsense with a tiny 15mm head
    Paul

Yours should never have needed 450lb.ft to break them loose. That's near double the recommended torque. Who last tightened them. and were they fitted dry? Tyre fitters were notorious for banging them up solid with air guns. Maybe not so much now. Then again...
    I think you are right as the wheel in question had recently had a tyre replaced
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    Up until now I had only been greasing the threads, not the shoulder. Since the bolt sheared I have removed all the others with the impact wrench, and greased the shoulder as well

I am also going to replace the whole set with these once I get home

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322324856512

17mm solid heads and a BZP finish which might help, none of that hollow nonsense with a tiny 15mm head
    Have you checked there is room in the recess for a 17mm socket?

I grease thread and shoulder - the shoulder can take quite a hold.
    Some say threads shouldn't be greased as it messes with the torque setting but IMO, if the correct torque isn't exceeded then fine. I just hate the shrieking juddering noise a dry bolt makes on loosening. Mainly though, it is to allow them to be removed when required.

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    I think you are right as the wheel in question had recently had a tyre replaced
    Will they ever learn?....

I've been using those 17mm wheel bolts with both steel and alloy wheels for years now - no issues. Junked the 15mm ones as soon as the 17mm ones became available.

John