Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights and side lights on - wont go off.

Headlights and side lights on - wont go off.

As per the title, headlights - main beam I think (the inner ones) and sidelights at front only, illuminated without switch being turned and hence can't be switched off.
    Pulled the wrong fuses (dipped not mains) so made no difference. Then I lost the central locking and when I tried to start the engine it turned over very slowly, dimming the dash lights (odd, as a previously failed and flat battery caused much clicking and bright flashing of dash lights) presumably due to battery flattening and main beams still on.
    I have disconnected the battery for now (pulling the correct fuses may have worked) but where is the problem likely to be located? Doubting the usual column stalk as loss of lights seem to be its symptom, and it was never used. Nor does it ever heat up.
    Turning the key to ignition position (before attempting engine start) led to some strange whirring and clicking noises from somewhere around the passenger footwell area. Inside is dry and anyway, lights aren't under SAM control AFAIK.
    I suspect something amiss with the relay I installed for the 2 x 100W high beam bulbs but that doesn't explain why the sidelights would be affected.
    Any ideas anyone as to the cause?

Pulling the correct fuses made no difference.
    Only disconnecting the battery extinguishes the lights (front side and main beams). When I reconnect the battery the lights stay off. When I switch them on, the same happens again. The only other things of note are no main beam light on the dash, and while the main beams are switched on, the dipped beams are off - and then begin to flash at a very slow rate. On for a couple of seconds, off for a couple of seconds, etc, etc. While this is happening, pronounced clicking from area around the SAM (if not from the SAM itself).
    Is this a SAM problem?

I suspect something amiss with the relay I installed for the 2 x 100W high beam bulbs but that doesn't explain why the sidelights would be affected.
    Youve just done this work ?

Or has this fault appeared out of nowhere with no provocation ??

Also: have you changed any NON head light bulbs recently ? stop and tails etc
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

If you are using a relay to run your illegal main beam lights, then they will not be on the fuse in the fuse box if the relay contacts are welding together because they can not cope with the current requirement of the bulbs.

The current drain will make het battery voltage drop which could explain some of your strange electrical issues.

John

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    You’ve just done this work ?
    Conversion to 100W bulbs done some ten years ago. Done properly with additional relay and fuse to it.

Or has this fault appeared out of nowhere with no provocation ??
    Zero provocation. Found the lights were on when I pulled ont a forecourt for fuel and couldn't switch them off because they hadn't been switched on.

Also: have you changed any NON head light bulbs recently ? stop and tails etc
    Tail (stop and side combined) in April. Correct bulb correctly fitted and no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    If you are using a relay to run your illegal main beam lights, then they will not be on the fuse in the fuse box if the relay contacts are welding together because they can not cope with the current requirement of the bulbs.

The current drain will make het battery voltage drop which could explain some of your strange electrical issues.

John
    See above. Conversion done properly ten years back without glitch in all that time. All the existing wire (to bulbs) has to do is trip the (additional) relay.
    I'd suspect that relay but for the rhythmic flashing of the dipped beams when the mains are on and won't go off, and, on reconnecting the battery (after disconnect to extinguish main beams), the main beams don't come back on (which would be expected if it was a case of unwanted connection). Also, the sidelights being on wouldn't be a function of a goosed relay. The missing dash light for main beam also odd.
    The slow turnover and temporary lock of locking may be due to dwindling voltage but for all the current required to operate a couple of door lock solenoids. not definite.

Illegal yes, but safer now I can see where the (rural) road goes at night. Affects no one as they are shutdown for approaching traffic - as is always the case with main beam.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    See above. Conversion done properly ten years back without glitch in all that time. All the existing wire (to bulbs) has to do is trip the (additional) relay.
    I'd suspect that relay but for the rhythmic flashing of the dipped beams when the mains are on and won't go off, and, on reconnecting the battery (after disconnect to extinguish main beams), the main beams don't come back on (which would be expected if it was a case of unwanted connection). Also, the sidelights being on wouldn't be a function of a goosed relay. The missing dash light for main beam also odd.
    The slow turnover and temporary lock of locking may be due to dwindling voltage but for all the current required to operate a couple of door lock solenoids. not definite.

Illegal yes, but safer now I can see where the (rural) road goes at night. Affects no one as they are shutdown for approaching traffic - as is always the case with main beam.
    Id be visually checking all the various SAM connectors for dry/popped/burnt joints.

Also check battery voltage , when car is off and also when lamps and engine are on etc

Sorted - I think.

I'd suspect that relay
    That relay was the cause - it could self connect thus bringing the main beams on. Which then,

due to dwindling voltage
    caused the other symptoms.

I think (hope) I have this sorted now. I guess I'll know for certain in a few days. 6 for a relay vs 520 (plus coding) for a SAM means I'm hoping it's sorted.

Sorted - I think.

That relay was the cause - it could self connect thus bringing the main beams on. Which then,

caused the other symptoms.

I think (hope) I have this sorted now. I guess I'll know for certain in a few days. 6 for a relay vs 520 (plus coding) for a SAM means I'm hoping it's sorted.
    A thought occurred:
    The relay does have a back-EMF protection diode fitted ? - yes ?
    Either externally added or pre-fitted internally?

This is crucial obviously

A thought occurred:
    The relay does have a back-EMF protection diode fitted ? - yes ?
    Either externally added or pre-fitted internally?

This is crucial obviously
    Ehhh???????