Thread: Team Dynamics Smartie Front Alloys

Team Dynamics Smartie Front Alloys

Quick question, is anyone running the Team Dynamics Smartie Alloys (6x16) upfront on their Smart fortwo 450 and if so, what tyre size can you run.

I've got a 2003 450 Brabus and I'm going to replace the fronts as my current ones are trashed beyond economical repair with the 6x16's and was wondering if I can get away with running 195/50/16 tyres upfront without any rubbing issues (10mm tyre wall size increase)?

The above size falls under the 2% difference between my current rears 205/45/16 (1.78% difference) and would give just that little bit more cushioning along with a slightly wider tyre.

A bit further down the line I'll look to replace the rears with wider 225/45/16 on the 7.5x16 Smartie alloys bringing my difference down to 1.23% again, with a little more cushioning than previous.

I don't think those wheels will fit a 450, the offset is wrong. They are made for a 451, going by the Wheelbase website.

I have seen pictures floating around of 450's wearing these wheels so they must be able to fit

Unlikely to fit without rubbing badly. I have Roadster Spinlines on my (non-Brabus, standard suspension) 450 with 185/55R15 tyres and they rubbed until I spaced out the front panel. The Smartie wheel with 195/50R16 tyres are a larger overall diameter (around 17mm more) and stick out further (about 5mm) plus you have the lower Brabus suspension, so the chances of it not hitting are somewhere between slim and none.

I think you will need to go to 195/40R16 to make these fit with reasonable clearance without modifying the front panel mountings, which by amazing coincidence is the recommended tyre for these wheels.
    Last edited by mikerj; 13-08-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks mikerj