Thread: Current pricing / hours for replacing a clutch in a 1999 Smart City Coupe + Passion

Current pricing / hours for replacing a clutch in a 1999 Smart City Coupe + Passion

I realise that labour rates vary depending on the size and reputation of the company involved doing the job. What I am really after is a realistic time for replacing a clutch and cost of the parts involved.
    There are no Smart specific garages near where I live but some pretty good all makes types that seem to average about 60 per hour.

Star reckons my clutch is at 25 which I understand to be near the replacement level. I also get the occasional "Kick" in the pants when moving off. I did a repair on the loom about 10 years ago which may need looking at, but that is easier with the gearbox out of the way!

Thanks in advance for any input.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    I realise that labour rates vary depending on the size and reputation of the company involved doing the job. What I am really after is a realistic time for replacing a clutch and cost of the parts involved.
    There are no Smart specific garages near where I live but some pretty good all makes types that seem to average about 60 per hour.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    I'd guess it's a two hour job, maybe three if they're stretching it for a final retail bill.
    Why not ring around these non-smart specific garages to price it up beforehand - surely they will quote - checked a few in your area and there's several who have websites and have an "ask for a quote" button

They might not charge for the hours per se , but for the job as a package

Looks like the clutch pack itself is about the 165 mark - maybe you supply the parts to avoid them ripping you for the parts side of things ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sachs-Ass...8AAOSw0dhbAr3J
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 27-09-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

A few points that may or may not be relevant.
    The self adjusting aspect - is that something a run of the mill garage can deal with? (Apparently, dual mass flywheels have a similar additional complication so maybe most garages are up to speed there).
    Repairing wiring with gearbox out of car - only if the garage is prepared to grant you access. Its insurance terms may prohibit this.
    Lots written on the now next to useless Smartmaniacs by Tolsen and others re set-up. Maybe some guidance on this would enable a general garage to get the job done.
    Out of nosiness, what mileage has the car done?

Clutch replacement is a full days job but may take longer if there are complications like seized bolts and nuts.
    Why not do it yourself John? I have no doubt you are fully capable.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

As far as doing it myself, No time.... Work full time and then have babysitting duties at weekends now. So in general not really enough time to spend groveling under the car outside in the cold and wet!

Car has done approx 370,000Km. So probably about time for a new clutch!

I will see if I can find the How to's , but this morning Smartmaniacs appears to be off line.

John

I swapped out the gearbox, ECU, SAM and instrument pod on my ForTwo in a morning on my driveway, replacing the clutch is 10 minutes work after the box has come off. A few hours with the use of a lift seems quite reasonable provided they are somewhat familiar with the job (seized/sheared bolts etc. will obviously slow things down).

Whatever garage you use will need to ability to calibrate the clutch operation afterwards. No special compressor tool is required for the self adjusting clutch, the only non-standard tool required (apart from the diagnostics system) is a very slim socket to remove the bolts that attach the flywheel to the drive plate.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if the local garage I was hoping to use has any experience replacing a clutch on a ForTwo, but the mechanic is pretty good with the other vehicles we have given him to deal with! So I will have to ask him what he thinks about doing it, and do I have to provide him with a "how to" for the more "strange" things you have to do like how you have to put a shallow socket in the gap between the engine and the bell housing to undo 3 bolts to take the clutch pack off, or how you have to stick your hand up the intercooler scoop to remove the push pin holding it in place.

I can do any adjustments on the new clutch afterwards with Star clone.

John