Thread: Flashing gear mode indicato and Service spanner together.

Flashing gear mode indicato and Service spanner together.

Hi,

2010 451 Fourtwo Cabrio 69,000 miles

Firstly the car transmission works as it should in all modes.

However following me doing as single spanner service like I have for the past seven years, oil, oil filter and air filter, plus pre-MOT check of brakes and the like, (The plugs were renewed about a month previous) when resetting the spanner, which I usually manage eventually, I noticed there were now two spanners flashing plus the gear mode indicator and I couldnít reset the spanner.
    The gear indicator light was not flashing before I started the service.

Driving the car still works works as it should so after searching the web and asking Smart car Indieí garages I had a MBStar Diagnostic at my local Mercí garage (£100.00 maxí but depending on time less is charged) Anyway they found a fault and cleared the SAM but the fault returned and said it would need further investigation (read expense) of the actuator or gear selector but didnít charge me anything.

So I have removed the actuator (marked its position first) and cleaned it and reinstalled it slightly further in. Hasnít made any difference lights still flash. Wiring checked etc so I looks like I can do no more but let someone else have a go.
    The car still works OK.

I donít have a fault code but Mercedes do and have it on their system and were reluctant to tell me what it was probably because they didnít charge me for doing the test.

Going to take it to my mates as his interface diagnosed an engine management fault as an Oxygen sensor for me some years ago so maybe it will tell me a fault code for my present problem.

Cheers

Edit
    Fault Code P1700, which tells me nothing.
    Last edited by lancepar; 18-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lancepar View Post
    Hi,

2010 451 Fourtwo Cabrio 69,000 miles

Firstly the car transmission works as it should in all modes.

However following me doing as single spanner service like I have for the past seven years, oil, oil filter and air filter, plus pre-MOT check of brakes and the like, (The plugs were renewed about a month previous) when resetting the spanner, which I usually manage eventually, I noticed there were now two spanners flashing plus the gear mode indicator and I couldnít reset the spanner.
    The gear indicator light was not flashing before I started the service.

Driving the car still works works as it should so after searching the web and asking Smart car Indieí garages I had a MBStar Diagnostic at my local Mercí garage (£100.00 maxí but depending on time less is charged) Anyway they found a fault and cleared the SAM but the fault returned and said it would need further investigation (read expense) of the actuator or gear selector but didnít charge me anything.

So I have removed the actuator (marked its position first) and cleaned it and reinstalled it slightly further in. Hasnít made any difference lights still flash. Wiring checked etc so I looks like I can do no more but let someone else have a go.
    The car still works OK.

I donít have a fault code but Mercedes do and have it on their system and were reluctant to tell me what it was probably because they didnít charge me for doing the test.

Going to take it to my mates as his interface diagnosed an engine management fault as an Oxygen sensor for me some years ago so maybe it will tell me a fault code for my present problem.

Cheers

Edit
    Fault Code P1700, which tells me nothing.
    Why would you make its position, then ignore it on reassembly??

I think your problem is sorted via a gearbox software update.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    Why would you make its position, then ignore it on reassembly??

I think your problem is sorted via a gearbox software update.
    Because this was just to see if repositioning it would make any difference, which it didn't and marking its location means I can move it back. I now understang the Actuator is self adjusting anyway after reading about it.
    I was hoping the Merc' garage would have suggested a software update, something else I have read about, but they didn't. Perhaps it might be worth pursuing it with them.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lancepar View Post
    I was hoping the Merc' garage would have suggested a software update, something else I have read about, but they didn't. Perhaps it might be worth pursuing it with them.
    Someone mentioned they wern't suprised at this and I haven't been back to ask them why. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers