Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the indicator sounder?

Where is the indicator sounder?

The indicator sounder hasn't worked since I bought the car.

I wanted to check it out... but I can't find where it is.

Much Googling and searching sites like FQ101 and Evilution have failed to turn up anything.

My guess would be that it's in the SAM, but breakdown views of the SAM that I've found don't show it or anything that looks like it.

Any ideas as to where it is, or other ideas as to why it might not work?

From memory, SAM equipped cars have a synthesised sound. Don't know what it plays through though.

Pinger, that's a very logical probability. I hadn't thought of that. It still begs the question though, where does the sound play through?

Is there anyone with a 451 who could have a listen to theirs and see if they can locate roughly where the noise comes from?
    E.g. SAM unit, speedo, radio etc.

The sound surely must come from the flasher relay.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

https://www.fq101.co.uk/data-and-ref...mart-evolution

''The conventional fuse box and zee unit seen in the earlier variants is replaced with a new SAM (Serial Actuation Module). This has moved the OBD (On-board diagnostics) port to the little shelf next to the steering wheel, the lack of external relays means that the indicator 'ticking' noise is now artificially produced through a small speaker. ''

The little speaker is mounted on the main processor PCB within the SAM assembly.

https://www.fq101.co.uk/data-and-ref...inside-the-sam

OP - why are you asking this?
    If it is for MOT, dash warning light is sufficient for MOT (one or the other, visual or audible).

Many thanks guys for the answers. You've answered my query!

mikerj - that link shows me exactly what I was after. I just don't know how I missed that page when searching fq101.

pinger - not it's not for MOT etc, it's passed that several times without it. It's just that it _should_ work and isn't and I miss not having the sound. Simple as that.

As getting to the sounder involves a SAM strip down, I think an external buzzer off ebay might be a safer answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bobkoytc View Post

As getting to the sounder involves a SAM strip down, I think an external buzzer off ebay might be a safer answer.
    Being a smart, wont that cause some other problem - like a wrongly fitted tail lamp bulb will screw up the transmission?

Just wonder if the wee speaker works for other warnings like driving off with door not shut or locking car with lights on?
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG