Thread: Windscreen wipers RHD 451 ForTwo Cabrio

Question Windscreen wipers RHD 451 ForTwo Cabrio

Hi,

Spent the last hour searching the interweb without success so............

The wipers are 22" and 21".
    I need to know what side of the car they are fitted and before someone suggests Evilution they say 21" left and 22" right!!!!!!!!!!
    Not a lot of use, so which blade is fitted to the Drivers side ie offside?
    Thanks.

I run short and long blades on my 450. Long is on drivers side (for obvious reason) and sits low when parked, the shorter one sits above it and it looks right and I reckon it would be spacky the other way around. Any help?

The 450 was originally a left hand drive car and therefore the wipers and demister were designed to work that way round best. When the car was converted to right hand drive, they didn't change the wipers or heating system, so it is still biased for the driver to be sitting on the left of the car looking forward from the back of the car.
    So originally the longest wiper blade would be on the left hand side of the car and the shorter one on the right. Nothing was changed for when it became a right hand drive car, but obviously drivers in the UK want a bigger swept area on the right hand side of the screen. So in order to stop the wiper blades from getting tangled with each other one should always be shorter than the other.

John

Hi hancepar,

I recently replaced the wind screen wipers on my 451 CDi coupe (RHD) with a set of Bosch Aerotwins from EBay.
    The seller has a handy chart listing all Smart models supported.
    The wipers arrived in different lengths (as is the case with Smartie blades).
    Haz a seedy eye!

I've changed the pinch fit blades on the Smarty a few times over the years when they become noisy, but as a temporary fix while waiting for new ones to arrive I swapped em over and noticed/forgot they were different length, they didn't tangle in use by the way but were still noisy.

I'll fit the long one on the RH side, drivers side.

Thanks all Merry Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    The 450 was originally a left hand drive car and therefore the wipers and demister were designed to work that way round best. When the car was converted to right hand drive, they didn't change the wipers or heating system, so it is still biased for the driver to be sitting on the left of the car looking forward from the back of the car.
    So originally the longest wiper blade would be on the left hand side of the car and the shorter one on the right. Nothing was changed for when it became a right hand drive car, but obviously drivers in the UK want a bigger swept area on the right hand side of the screen. So in order to stop the wiper blades from getting tangled with each other one should always be shorter than the other.

John
    John is correct regarding this as I have now discovered on my 451 because due to the profile of the original Bosch pinch fit Aero Blades they can only be fitted one way to work efficiently so the long Bosch blade will be on the LH side of a RHD car when looking forward from the back of the car.

The non original blades I bought were were easily dismantled and assembled so the long blade is on the right in front of the driver (RHD). Unfortunately this can't be done with the Bosch blades as some of the parts are fused together and can't be swapped about.

I've relined the original blades as well for spares.