Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Reprogram

Question Gearbox Reprogram

Is it possible to get a the box 'remapped'?

I have a 599 ForTwo rather than a Roadster, but I imagine this will be something Roadster owners would be more likely to have explored

In my car the max revs reached during a stationary start is about 2200, ideally I would like this to be variable based on throttle input, up to say 4000

Is there anyway to achieve this?

I know this would reduce clutch life, but it can be embarrassing when the car won't pull itself over a sharp speed hump, or even out of the the MOT rollers
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

On my 700cc car there is provision for a 'sports' start. Never used it but it is in the handbook as to how to. Something to do with holding the key over to the start position. Maybe 600s are the same - handbook should have the info is so.

Clutch take-up though is largely independent of rpm - clamping pressure is all. On a conventional manual 'balancing the clutch' on a hill, blipping the throttle makes no difference - only releasing the pedal a bit more does. Are you sure your engine is boosting correctly? At 2200rpm there should be enough boost and torque to pull over speed humps etc.

Thanks, not heard of the sports start, will have to try to find out more about that

I presume the clutch is released only as much as is allowed by the software while preventing the revs dropping below about 2200, and this is not going to be at maximum torque

So in a conventional car, when I need an extreme hill start, I will release the clutch while keeping the revs quite high, I'd never move (except perhaps backwards) if the revs were kept no higher than 2200
    Paul

This:
    ''Kickdown* Vehicles with softouch* or vehicles with cruise control*: Use the kickdown function when you want maximum acceleration.  Depress the accelerator past the pres sure point. > The transmission downshifts.  Take your foot slightly off the acceler ator once you have reached the desired speed.
    If you press the accelerator beyond the kickdown point to make a sports start, the clutch is not engaged until the engine has reached a higher speed.''
    is all I can find in the handbook/manual for a 700cc model. I'm sure the ignition key was involved (nowhere else in the handbook/manual is 'sports start' mentioned) so maybe I read that on Evilution/FQ101 - or maybe just forum talk back in the day. Maybe, as you suggest, a Roadster thing. Someone here should be able to advise though - just not me!

Brilliant - found the link

http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...3-sports-start

Just need to see if it works on my 2001 car now - thanks
    Paul

That's where I'd seen it them. The 'key' thing stuck in my mind. Rather your clutch than mine taking a hiding - mine suffers enough when the handbrake sticks. Maybe I do need sports start after all....

I have only done this in auto although some says it works in manual too. Simply floor pedal and Smart will change into next gear at highest possible revs. In my 2002 diesel Cabrio that is about 4200 rpm.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Forgot to mention when doing these so called "sports starts" there is quite a noticeable smoke cloud behind me. For that reason I don't do sports starts very often.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Tried it but obviously need more practice as four times out of five I just ended up sitting there with the engine reaching 6k and going nowhere

Actually releasing the key before the revs reach 3k is much harder than you'd imagine

So while using it for an extreme hill start might be fine, using it for a quick getaway is going to be a bit hit or miss
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    Tried it but obviously need more practice as four times out of five I just ended up sitting there with the engine reaching 6k and going nowhere

Actually releasing the key before the revs reach 3k is much harder than you'd imagine

So while using it for an extreme hill start might be fine, using it for a quick getaway is going to be a bit hit or miss
    Reading it on FQ101 it struck me as being anything but easy.
    A bit like all the launch programmes. By the time all the buttons have been pressed, I'm up the road and on my way (with a conventional start).