Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight problem.

Headlight problem.

Slightly strange headlight problem - main beam.
    Noticed one of my main beams wasn't working. Obvious assumption is failed bulb. Then the other failed also - possibly something else. Then last night I noticed that both beams work from the flasher but not in the main beam on switch position (though the dipped beams remain on).
    Is there a known problem that could cause this?
    I recently changed a relay installed for higher wattage main beams which had gone bad. I'd suspect it but for the mains working when flashed (flash is wired through same relay). Nothing else untoward and battery voltage as it should be. Any ideas?

I think your light stalk needs an overhaul. http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...witch-overhaul
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Thanks TK. It does kind of point to the stalk.

I have just sorted out the photos in my post regarding light stalk overhaul.

Maybe not the stalk.
    Main beam isn't working in the normal way, ie switchable when dipped are on. The blue dash light illuminates though.
    The flash works - but not always. Works if side-lights are on but otherwise no. As above, blue dash light illuminates irrespective of flash illumination.
    I'll check the above for accuracy in case it offers a diagnosis but last night that's kind of how it was behaving.
    All of the above applies to one bulb only as the other one (presumably) blew but the other was still working normally. Doubt that a failed bulb is the cause (don't recall it being the case in the past) but it's a smart after all....

Operate the stalk flash whilst giving the SAM/ZEE a kick and monitor the light output.

Also: Operate the stalk flash whilst wiggling (the stalk slightly)and monitor the light output.

Or get an able assistant to do one of the roles.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Use a transparent plastic bag when you pull off end of stalk. https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...trical&mod=382

More to it than stalk I suspect.
    Something is coming from the switch to illuminate the blue dash light and as my mains are wired through a relay, only relay switching current required to bring the lights on. That and the flash only working when sidelights are on.
    Will there be codes to read?

I doubt there will be any fault codes. I suggest you start by checking light stalk. Then proceed with relevant fuses and connectors on SAM. I think I can provide a wiring diagram but having your VIN would then help a lot to select right diagram for your unSmart.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I doubt there will be any fault codes. I suggest you start by checking light stalk. Then proceed with relevant fuses and connectors on SAM. I think I can provide a wiring diagram but having your VIN would then help a lot to select right diagram for your unSmart.
    Thanks TK.
    This and a slew of other work the car needs is deferred until I get another car on the road (soon) when I can devote some time to my frangible fortwo (something breaks/fails every time I use it).
    I also have a gearbox leak. Not from a driveshaft and not I think from the input shaft (as I'd expect the clutch to be saturated and slipping) which I thought left only mating surfaces at the joint but maybe from an actuator or sensor (appears to be from NS)?
    I've sourced a used ABS/ESP ECU to try - so that's also on a lengthening to-do list. Oh for some warmer weather!