Thread: E10 Fuel

Question E10 Fuel

Yes, No or Maybe?
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

By what I'm reading elsewhere, a very definite yes. Ie, it's coming and we have no choice - other than use higher octane fuel which I'm led to believe will remain at 5% ethanol.
    Europe has had E10 for some time apparently so we are merely falling in line with it (oh the irony!).
    There are a couple of downsides (elastomer susceptibility and water absorption) which shouldn't cause problems other than on older vehicles and other things like mowers and strimmers. If the ethanol is derived from plant waste, fine. If it replaces food crops, not so fine.

https://www.acea.be/publications/art...atibility-list Scroll down for downloadable compatibility list.

All petrol engine smarts are 'cleared for E10'. E10 has been causing some problems in Europe though.

Will we have to have our cars retuned?
    Plus will we get worse fuel economy like you do with E85? (From what I understand you have to burn approx 20% more ethanol to get the same energy output).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Will we have to have our cars retuned?
    Plus will we get worse fuel economy like you do with E85? (From what I understand you have to burn approx 20% more ethanol to get the same energy output).
    No and yes - I think.

So we'll be buying more fuel to do the same distance, but of course the price will drop as ethanol is cheaper to produce....I live in a dream world...lol

As far as I can make out yes, more fuel for the same distance - but I'm only repeating what I've read elsewhere. If it has a lower calorific value - inevitable.
    Don't know how cars that don't have fuel trim via Lambda sensors are going to cope. Maybe they wont.

Hard to say where fuel prices are going to go in future. Obviously with increased electrification the tax take to the treasury will drop so some other method of replacing the lost tax will be implemented. Journey pricing (possibly variable rate depending on time of day) the most likely - if you are happy to have your movement monitored. Never mind dreams, Orwellian nightmares await.

From my view point there is a direct link between the very forceful rollout of so called "smart meters" & EV's!
    I agree the government will have to recoup lost fuel tax from somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
    From what i've been reading, EV's are only approx 30% less polluting than fueled vehicles. Just the polution is out of town at the power stations!

There's two strands to car pollution. Global (which many many other activities also contribute to) and local - where diesels have been castigated as worst offender. Lots (and I do mean lots) of moaning from the hard done by diesel brigade claiming they bought their diesels to stem climate change. Bollox - they bought them to have the biggest car with the small car mpg. Then, rather than maintain them in the condition they left the factory (and they would not have left the factory had they not been equipped with swirl flaps, EGR, etc) they bodge them and make them filthier than the cars that met the previous emissions standards. On top of that, stupid traffic 'calming' measures that cannot not increase emissions - especially on off-boost diesels. If people would stick to 30mph in those zones there wouldn't be need for speed humps etc. All of which is now pushing us toward EVs I can't afford to buy, have no where to charge, and won't get me home after a days work. Result!
    And yes, EVs more shift the pollution source than solve a problem. And that's before considering the aggressive mining of elements for them. None of it has been well thought out as to how it will work at ground level (us). Plans hatched by those who are chauffeur driven and a motor industry having been caught cheating too timid to voice an opinion.
    Last edited by pinger; 05-03-2020 at 07:30 PM.

​Totally agree with what you're saying.