Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emissions problem

Emissions problem

Our 2009 1.0 Turbo has recently had a new exhaust and lambda sensors but yesterday failed the MOT on emissions.

The garage could not tell me what may be causing the problem.

Can anyone suggest what issues (other than the exhaust/lambda) could cause or contribute to the problem?

Thanks

Show us the readings and maybe.

Can't discount exhaust/Lambda as all changes have effects. Why was it recently changed though?
    Early days of the 451 saw a lot of people change exhausts and then have to go to lengths to precisely position the Lambda sensor or have the engine checklight on.

Quote Originally Posted by pewe View Post
    Our 2009 1.0 Turbo has recently had a new exhaust and lambda sensors but yesterday failed the MOT on emissions.

The garage could not tell me what may be causing the problem.
    As said, you need to specify what area of emissions level it failed on, they should provide this for you.

Also the new sensors need confirming they were correct for the car, its all well and good them being new, but were they the correct ones
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks for the responses.

This problem goes back to 2018 and is puzzling me.

We had the car MOT'd in 2017 (just after we got it) and it passed no problem

In 2018 it failed on emissions so on advice from the MOT centre we used Catclean, and it failed. So on their advice we changed the exhaust, and it failed. So they suggested changing the lambda, and it failed.
    We left if a few as we were moving and without doing anything took it into the MOT centre near our new location and asked them to check it on their computer. They said they would do the MOT and if it failed do a scan - but it passed with flying colours.
    But they did say that they had run it for a short while before testing - which the other centres had no done.

In 2019 it passed with no problems.

Then the other day, one year and 3000 miles later, it failed on emissions.

I have attached the emission test results which are almost identical to results in 2018.

The tester suggested there may be an intermittent underlying problem, but couldn't suggest what without doing a computer scan.

Before spending another 60 on scanning I thought I would seek advice from those with experience before deciding next step as we have already spent 600+ on new parts/tests two years ago and thought that had resolved the issue.

img19032020_001.jpg

Looks like it is running a tad rich. Lambda values less than 1.0 indicates rich mixtures and you have high UBHC (un-burned hydro carbons).

But they did say that they had run it for a short while before testing - which the other centres had no done.
    Given the above, and the MOT emissions print out stating 'oil temp bypassed' (quite common BTW) but temp gauge read - I thought 451s didn't have temp gauges. If I'm right on that, then I'd be taking it back and ask for emissions retest (at no cost) after making sure it was up to temp (stinking hot). It could still have been cold and running rich because of that.

If they tested correctly (ie at correct temp) then you have a mixture problem. Or possibly ignition problem. When was it last serviced?

When was the air filter last changed?

I notice the car only did 3000 miles in a year. Is this mainly nice gentle town driving with the car hardly getting up to temperature?

I've heard people say you should do an "Italian tune-up" before taking a car for it's MOT. Basically give the car a bit of a thrashing! Get it really hot to burn out the crap built up in the engine.

Thanks guys.

There is no temp gauge on the car (which I thought was a bit weird, always been used to having one).

The car mostly does short trips to town and back (about 3-5 miles at a time) with occasional longer (about 20 miles at most) trips.
    It has not been serviced since the last MOT, not sure how long before that.

Coincidentally my wife noticed that the engine warning light coupled with the flashing 'spanner' came on shortly before the MOT.
    Maybe the first step would be to change the air filter, plugs and oil and give it a good run before having another emissions test and also see if I can find out why the management light is on. I have an OBD adapter and 'torque' on my phone - if I can find the socket.

There is no temp gauge on the car (which I thought was a bit weird, always been used to having one).
    Re-read your emissions print-out. It clearly states 'temp gauge' was used. You've been stitched up here.
    Go back and have it out with the test station. Ask then to show which temp gauge they used. If they don't re-test at zero cost at proper temp - tell them their MOT certificate will be withdrawn as soon as you've reported them to VOSA.

That said, if the car is due a service, maybe better do that first - to ensure a pass during a properly conducted test.

The 'good run' bit prior to test is all about having the car hot enough. Cats don't work below a certain temp so heat is everything. A helpful MOT tester will give you a test time and you can drive straight in there and the emissions part of the test can be done first. Letting it cool is what causes problems. And, the oil temp is the relevant temp for the test - not coolant. The oil temp significantly lags behind coolant. When coolant is up to temp, typically the oil will only be half way to its operating temp.

Some obs'

"temp gauge used", might this refer to a hand held digital thermometer?
    Or maybe a OBD connection used, the SAM unit knows what the coolant temp' is shirley, even if there is no dash display.

BTW it's a known modification that earlier displays with temp' bars can be retro fitted in later cars around the 2010 period.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by lancepar View Post
    Some obs'

"temp gauge used", might this refer to a hand held digital thermometer?
    Or maybe a OBD connection used, the SAM unit knows what the coolant temp' is shirley, even if there is no dash display.

BTW it's a known modification that earlier displays with temp' bars can be retro fitted in later cars around the 2010 period.

HTH

Fair point and why Pewe should ask first, shout later!

In my experience, what I've seen is oil temp never checked but tester asks me (I'm present during the test, in the car, raising the rpm for fast idle test) if it's up to temp. On one occasion where there were difficulties getting good readings, I was permitted to go for a brisk drive to regain heat. Heat is everything for the cat to work.