Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock down

Lock down

How's everyone doing? What have you been up to?

Also, what recommendations would you provide to others to look after their car that aren't getting used?
    Sensible mode deactivated, back in a Roadster

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

Run the engine every other day get it up to normal running temperature - go for a drive round the block to make sure the brakes don't seize.

John

Don't be running up engines - not before a month has passed at least.
    All the acids formed during cold combustion will end up in the oil, will not get a chance to escape and you are pumping that everywhere. The ensuing corrosion attacks bearing, rings, camshaft, etc. Exhausts suffer too. Even when the coolant is at operating temperature, oil is only half way there. The only reason I'd do it is if I feared the clutch plate seizing to the flywheel - there's no easy workaround for that with AMT.
    Tyres are more vulnerable - inflate them to a higher pressure if possible and/or - if you have a jack that quickly lifts a corner off the car - lift a corner at a time and rotate a wheel a quarter turn so that when you put it back down it sits on a different part of the tyre. That will also help stop brakes seizing on. Avoid leaving the handbrake on if possible.
    All that's left is the battery but a good one will easily stand a fortnight's sitting. Trickle charger worth a shot if possible.

If we all go out to drive just for this the police will harden their stance. If it prolongs this fiasco - we'll be in lockdown longer. Cars are less sensitive than we imagine.
    Last edited by pinger; 02-04-2020 at 09:28 AM.

To me going for a drive is an essential journey for those reasons if the lock down gets to being more than a month.

Even at this time I am taking my bike out. It is essential transport as my 90 year old mother lives 500 yards away, too far for me to walk and if I use my bike for that journey and nothing else then after 3 or 4 days it will have a flat battery and run like a dog. The perils of running 40 year old vehicles.

I would argue the case in court that my journey was essential and carried no risk to anyone or myself given that I do not stop anywhere unless I need petrol or shopping for my mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    To me going for a drive is an essential journey for those reasons if the lock down gets to being more than a month.

Even at this time I am taking my bike out. It is essential transport as my 90 year old mother lives 500 yards away, too far for me to walk and if I use my bike for that journey and nothing else then after 3 or 4 days it will have a flat battery and run like a dog. The perils of running 40 year old vehicles.
    Or you could do as I'm doing with a car here - fix the problem that drains the battery.

I would argue the case in court that my journey was essential and carried no risk to anyone or myself given that I do not stop anywhere unless I need petrol or shopping for my mum.
    You won't. It's an on-the-spot- fine. Non negotiable and ramping in severity for subsequent infractions. Your call but if you are going out then I'll go out. And pretty soon everyone else will too. Personally, I don't really care. But then again I'm not 90 years old and vulnerable.

I still have to go to work in a polymer factory as we are considered key workers.
    What I've noticed is as every day passes there are more cars on the road.

What I want to know is where have all these White vans appeared from? I've never seen so many delivery drivers in my life...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

What I've noticed is as every day passes there are more cars on the road.
    That's my observation also. Yesterday and today on an A road, the traffic level (particularly passenger cars) is rising. Suspect that either this lockdown is going to end soon or the police will enforce it with vigour. Roadblocks and checkpoints?

Noticeably, there are a lot of elederly who just don't get the severity of this. We're in lockdown to save them and they're wandering about as if there's no problem. And when it's not that they are demanding we stay at home. Demanding - try politeness if you want my continued cooperation.

On the spot fines are not compulsory nor should they ever be. The police have altogether too many powers in this and getting them removed at the end is going to be difficult. Bad enough having idiots enforcing the law but idiots with powers like this should never have happened. They should have called the army out.

The thing that flattens the battery is starting the engine. A 500 yard journey is not enough to put in what is taken out to start it. I would like to see anyone fix that without major expense. It is 40 years old, 40 years ago you just could not do continuous short journeys in a petrol vehicle, that is why diesels caught on.

The thing that flattens the battery is starting the engine. A 500 yard journey is not enough to put in what is taken out to start it. I would like to see anyone fix that without major expense. It is 40 years old, 40 years ago you just could not do continuous short journeys in a petrol vehicle, that is why diesels caught on.
    That's just a lame excuse and you know it.
    Diesels caught on because of tax breaks (and because they delivered what people liked, namely torque to enable a larger vehicle without excessive fuel bills).
    Battery charging solves your problem. A vehicle that cannot re-start after 500 yards needs fixed or to be binned. It's useless as it is.

On the spot fines are not compulsory nor should they ever be. The police have altogether too many powers in this and getting them removed at the end is going to be difficult. Bad enough having idiots enforcing the law but idiots with powers like this should never have happened. They should have called the army out.
    Agree about the powers granted to the police and the need to have them revoked in due course but the army on the streets? Seriously? In any case, it'd be better to hold the army in reserve as almost certainly they will be required on the medical front. And they will do a good job and some will no doubt think that the country would be better run by the military. I'm not one of them but the idea could gain traction in the turmoil to come.

In all of this I'm torn. I think we should have been left with some discretion to use our cars and only enforcement of gathering would be necessary. But, now it is in place, I think we have to adhere to it. All of us. Once some break rank everyone will and it will be impossible to police/enforce. Then it's a free for all and the vulnerable will suffer.
    Anything that appears to be unfair - eg some driving while others aren't - will lead to calls for more draconian legislation/enforcement. Where that ends is anyone's guess but in view of the powers already accorded to the police, it's a dangerous road to travel.
    The situation is fluid. I can see pressure mounting to ease the restrictions and if distancing is maintained I can't see why not (not least, as there are pressures building unseen to most that will need ameliorating). But the unfairness inherent in some adhering and others flouting is a recipe for disaster. The policing required for the latter will be ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    That's just a lame excuse and you know it.
    Diesels caught on because of tax breaks (and because they delivered what people liked, namely torque to enable a larger vehicle without excessive fuel bills).
    Battery charging solves your problem. A vehicle that cannot re-start after 500 yards needs fixed or to be binned. It's useless as it is.

Agree about the powers granted to the police and the need to have them revoked in due course but the army on the streets? Seriously? In any case, it'd be better to hold the army in reserve as almost certainly they will be required on the medical front. And they will do a good job and some will no doubt think that the country would be better run by the military. I'm not one of them but the idea could gain traction in the turmoil to come.

In all of this I'm torn. I think we should have been left with some discretion to use our cars and only enforcement of gathering would be necessary. But, now it is in place, I think we have to adhere to it. All of us. Once some break rank everyone will and it will be impossible to police/enforce. Then it's a free for all and the vulnerable will suffer.
    Anything that appears to be unfair - eg some driving while others aren't - will lead to calls for more draconian legislation/enforcement. Where that ends is anyone's guess but in view of the powers already accorded to the police, it's a dangerous road to travel.
    The situation is fluid. I can see pressure mounting to ease the restrictions and if distancing is maintained I can't see why not (not least, as there are pressures building unseen to most that will need ameliorating). But the unfairness inherent in some adhering and others flouting is a recipe for disaster. The policing required for the latter will be ugly.
    Either you are not old enough to remember or your rose tinted spectacles are clouding your memory.

Knowledgeable about BMW motor bikes from the 70s are you? I would say google it but clearly you seem to think you know what you are talking about so google isn't going to help you. The Internet is full of such types.

I will let you know if I get pulled but otherwise I am finished with this thread.