Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lock down

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    I heard alarming reports from Korea last week that recovered patients have not gained immunity. This was recently confirmed by WHO.

Am I now correct in concluding a vaccine becomes impossible due to the above?
    Both the PCR test and the Antibody test (of which there are many variants) are unreliable enough to account for the perceived re-infection issue, so don't be too alarmed
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

UK has an inept government voted in by fools. You were promised a wonderful time. What you got is death.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Re the 'excess deaths'. There is something going on we are not quite hearing. For reasons I'll gloss over I look at the death announcements on-line in the local paper. Typically 3-4 pages in winter and dropping to 1-2 by this time of the year. Recently, after a dip to 1-2 they are back at 3-4. As we are on the cusp of entering May, this is not how things normally are.

What is really concerning me is the plight of those without gardens and lacking the fitness to keep on walking, running or cycling to fulfil the 'permitted exercise' brief. They must be climbing the walls. Can they not be allowed to sit in public places (not benches - rug on the grass) in peace without being moved on by police? My fear is there will be tipping point where lockdown breaks down due to this and in densely populated areas this is potentially catastrophic.
    Their contribution to lockdown is enormous (much more than mine as I have the luxury of a garden and driveway to work on my truck). They need and deserve a break. It would be in all our interests to try and give them a bit of freedom.
    If we extrapolate that scenario then the police wont be in a position to contain it and then we're looking at the army on the street. Things can get out of hand very very quickly in that circumstance.
    The current over zealous lockdown may appear to be the safest option but it is not risk free. Not by a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Re the 'excess deaths'. There is something going on we are not quite hearing. For reasons I'll gloss over I look at the death announcements on-line in the local paper. Typically 3-4 pages in winter and dropping to 1-2 by this time of the year. Recently, after a dip to 1-2 they are back at 3-4. As we are on the cusp of entering May, this is not how things normally are.
    DeathsByAgeGrp.jpg

This is really out of date as you can see (if you click on the thumbnail), but my simplistic conclusion is that under 45s have no increased risk of death, but in the highest age groups risk of death is nearly doubled

The current figures are likely to be even more pronounced, but I haven't checked

Also please be aware that I am only looking to compare two weeks, one year apart, I am not using the average for several preceding years, I was just doing the calcs out of my own curiosity
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    DeathsByAgeGrp.jpg

This is really out of date as you can see (if you click on the thumbnail), but my simplistic conclusion is that under 45s have no increased risk of death, but in the highest age groups risk of death is nearly doubled

The current figures are likely to be even more pronounced, but I haven't checked

Also please be aware that I am only looking to compare two weeks, one year apart, I am not using the average for several preceding years, I was just doing the calcs out of my own curiosity
    I haven't actually looked at what you posted, just commenting on what I'm observing locally. And yes, predominately the deaths are of the elderly. I've been looking at the (local) death announcements for years now and never seen this trend before.

I think I have stated this before but no harm repeating. Brexs7it Boris is an idiot and a fool.

Brexs7it Boris is PM because of Brexs7it, not because of his skills and talents.

What really sums it up is he is a friend of Trump.

You now have to be a Brexit evangelist to be part of the govt, Brexit neutral won't do

That means the pool of talent is significantly reduced

And my God it shows

The true cost of Brexit no longer appears to be Brexit
    Paul

And Brexit considerations have influenced C-19 policy, eg, ignoring the offer from the EU to collectively source PPE - as it looked a bit too much like co-operation with the EU and might upset the Brexiteers. Better to let them die of C-19 than rock the Brexit boat.

Johnson screwed up big time pursuing herd immunity without protecting the most vulnerable. By the time he realised it it was too late as C-19 was already in care homes. Yet the Brexiteers who elected him will not hear one word of criticism against him. Now that Niall Ferguson slipped up and compounded it with his excuse of supposed immunity, Johnson's followers have seized on it as being why herd immunity should now be policy - but still the vulnerable aren't protected. As for the alt-right conspiracy theories....
    I'm alt-right Jack - FU seems to be the attitude.