Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 54bhp cdi idle rough as nails in a tin box.

Unhappy 54bhp cdi idle rough as nails in a tin box.

Not sure what happened but one morning started the car and the rattle of the engine was just shocking to say the least. It has gone in limp mode and the code reader has thrown p2084 and p1402.

It has always had low SAP Oil 229.51 and has just completed 60k. I am truly gutted it sounds as if something is rattling inside the engine. Idle is 800rpm.

Please Help..

What have you read the fault codes with?

Preferably you should use a Star system but a Delphi will do if you do not have access to Star.

Thanks Mjolinor for your quick reply, I borrowed my next door neighbours code reader as the rattle took me by surprise. It's a cheap reader nothing special.

I hope it is nothing serious as it is my only drive and this is the 1st time it has done this.

the car drives fine and the rattle can not be heard at speed however now with limp mode but the Start is something else. It will wake my whole street early in the morning.
    Last edited by classic123; 11-05-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Well you need to get either a Delphi or a Star before you do anything else. There is no point doing anything until you have. At this point I wouldn't worry too much about the noise, they can do that for all kinds of reasons.

I suspect that you would be best to let someone else look at it, Big Performance perhaps. Are you anywhere near him?

There will be other people along presently that will have more idea who is close to you that they can recommend.

I will look into it tomorrow thanks. Big performance is based in Surrey so might give him a shout or S2smart in Watford.

BTW reading some previous threads here I noticed you also had similar code issue with P2084 did you get it all sorted?

Mine is probably sorted but I aint used it for a month or more and have not really been far in it since I put a new turbo on. I only do maybe two thousand miles a year in it anyway so whether I fixed anything or not tends to take a long time to prove.

Well this morning I started the car and straight away the rattling began but the limp mode is no longer active. Went for a 30mile roundd trip on 4th gear @ 3000rpm or above. Car pulled strongly and all gears changed as expected. It actually felt very light and quick on the acceleration. Easily could go past 80mph if I pushed it a touch harder.

Checked the code reader all codes gone. I drove it to my local indy Smart but they were closed. Popped into a local garage who was kind enough to get under the car and said the noise seems to be coming from the sump. Plot thickens.

I think this could be the straps on the clutch mechanism have failed. I had this happen many many years ago. I thought it was a big end bearing failure, as that's what it sounded like! The car ran & drove fine, it was only on tickover it made the noise, knock knock knock..... I drove it for a few days to work & back. Then one morning it wouldn't select a gear, just a thuding sound.
    On investigation the finger springs on the clutch cover had inverted because a couple of straps had snapped. New clutch sorted it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I think this could be the straps on the clutch mechanism have failed. I had this happen many many years ago. I thought it was a big end bearing failure, as that's what it sounded like! The car ran & drove fine, it was only on tickover it made the noise, knock knock knock..... I drove it for a few days to work & back. Then one morning it wouldn't select a gear, just a thuding sound.
    On investigation the finger springs on the clutch cover had inverted because a couple of straps had snapped. New clutch sorted it out.
    That sounds entirely plausible. Not least because if it was within the engine I'd expect it to have gone bang by now. Sound travels and the 'bell' housing is well named.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    The sound on mine is more a rattle as it is misfiring and about to shut the engine off instead of knock which you described. Drives fine changes gears smoothly without a hitch. Imagine a tin box with nails now shake vigorously.
    Would clutch straps sound the same?