Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 54bhp cdi idle rough as nails in a tin box.

Could be cam chain? Try lifting the cam chain off the sprocket - the slipper auto tensioner is known to break.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    Could be cam chain? Try lifting the cam chain off the sprocket - the slipper auto tensioner is known to break.

John
    If the above is suspect - investigate ASAP. If the chain jumps the sprocket your motor is toast.

Agreed cam chain sounds more plausible or maybe hydraulic cam follower. My car makes a rattle on first start up sometimes & I think it's a dodgy cam follower that takes a few seconds to pump up with oil. http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...ne/412-tappets

Well thanks everyone for the input.After doing some research and speaking to some cdi owners in other forums, It turned out to be the rattly clutch system rivets broken, which I had been told by quite a few on other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I think this could be the straps on the clutch mechanism have failed. I had this happen many many years ago. I thought it was a big end bearing failure, as that's what it sounded like! The car ran & drove fine, it was only on tickover it made the noise, knock knock knock..... I drove it for a few days to work & back. Then one morning it wouldn't select a gear, just a thuding sound.
    On investigation the finger springs on the clutch cover had inverted because a couple of straps had snapped. New clutch sorted it out.
    Thank you. Spot on.

Glad you got to the root of the cause. Some faults are a real pain to diagnose!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Glad you got to the root of the cause. Some faults are a real pain to diagnose!
    Just orderd the new clutch kit. Hopefully it arrives by next week.

My 450 Cdi having neary made it all the way to the moon in terms of total mileage developed a worrying metallic clunky rattling sound a months ago. So bad I did not dare even starting engine so has been riding my push bike to get around.
    Found the fault yesterday. The exhaust is the culprit. A baffle or pipe inside is loose causing a loud metallic rattle.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG