Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Bag Warning Light After Seat Re-install

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Delphi - on an old lap top with an OBD/USB interface and the cloned software from China for circa 35?
    Pretty sure the Delphi will do air bags. Tolsen knows Delphi well (and a few others here too). The interface will take a few weeks to arrive though.
    If the Indy I phoned earlier today had offered to do it for 35, I would have already been there and paid him the cash, but he made a point that he needed to get a return on his 6k MB diagnostic tool, so that's why he couldn't do me any favours

I had asked if he could include a clutch reset - not that it needs one it's just that it would have made me feel better about shelling out 60
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

I just checked my Chinese copy Delphi & it does read & reset airbag fault codes.
    I bought mine from Ebay many years ago for about 30. It has been useful, recently diagnosed ABS fault on brothers fusion & reset dash warning light.
    Where abouts in London are you?

Greetings All, Most interesting. Those that don't have seat mounted Airbags, don't need to worry about this problem but those that do, have to worry. Disconnecting the battery, before removing any connectors on a Smart is almost a MUST do. The problem occurred due to going for a drive without the seat or just the airbag connected. Having the passenger seat out is a great way of having more space. Almost as good as having "more power"?? Having reconnected the battery the Airbag controller see's that without the seat or airbag there as a fault and latches the fault. Not just logging but latching - needing the fault to be unlatched, via Merc. dosh making device. So, two fixes? The first a little clumsy, to find the same type of airbag connect it and have it roll about the floor. The second is to find the resistance of the Squib of the airbag and fit a resister of that value to the connector. BUT, it's not a good idea to try and measure the Squib's resistance with a mutimeter, that would provide the current required to blow the squib. Somebody, somewhere, knows the resistance of individual airbags. Then again, other 'proper' car makers have a key operated switch that disables the airbag/s on the passengers side (which would/should enable you to remove the passenger seat) and birngs on a warning light - which is rest when you key operate the switch back to enable the airbag/s. Sadly, Smarts are too smart for their own good. Cheers, Ian.

This happens even if you don't remove the seat as the connector is known to come apart and obviously produces the same effect. Plenty of posts detailing the issue and the fix - some cable ties to hold the connector together.

John