Thread: EML question.

EML question.

A very simple question (as I'm not in a position to check for myself).
    The EML light - comes on with ignition - goes out after a period itself or, when engine is started?
    TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    A very simple question (as I'm not in a position to check for myself).
    The EML light - comes on with ignition - goes out after a period itself or, when engine is started?
    TIA.
    From the owners manual:

Engine check indicator light
    It lights up:
    􏰀 when the ignition is switched on.
    > Indicator light goes out after the engine is started or after 10 seconds if the engine electronics are func􏰀 tioning properly.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Cheers R-I-S.
    Indicator light goes out after the engine is started or after 10 seconds if the engine electronics are func�� tioning properly.

Does the MOT tester wait for it to self extinguish?

Cheers R-I-S.
    Indicator light goes out after the engine is started or after 10 seconds if the engine electronics are func�� tioning properly.

Does the MOT tester wait for it to self extinguish?
    I guess the tester will move on to fast idle checks etc and if he spots any amber/red light still lit (apart from lighting on/indicator symbols On) then he should report it as a fail.
    He also should be checking they all light on as the ign is turned on. (To check you havenít just pulled the bulb)
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Cheers.
    I think I need to read through the MOT tester's manual for the definitive procedure.
    I'm in a situation (not the smart) where the light stays on until the engine is started. Usually - though it will be a different test station this time - the emissions check is on arrival while the engine is at it's hottest and the check for the presence of the light will be done when the tester takes the driving seat for the brake checks.
    That it is there and that it goes out with the engine running should be fine (I'd hope) but if it is expected to self extinguish and he waits for it... Might be worth my while checking if all cars do the self extinguish thing or not.

Cheers.
    I think I need to read through the MOT tester's manual for the definitive procedure.
    And it says:

''Engine malfunction indicator lamp (engine management light or ‘EML’)
    Turn on the ignition and check that the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and then goes off. On some vehicles it will be necessary to start the engine before the MIL goes off.

You need to inspect MIL fitted to:

petrol vehicles with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2003
    petrol vehicles with 4 or more wheels, more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2008
    gas and bi-fuel vehicles with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2008
    Kit cars, amateur built vehicles and American pickups are not required to be fitted with an engine MIL.''

Only applies to post 2003 vehicles and staying on until engine started is OK.

Greetings All, by the looks of things there's three easy ways round this problem, at least? 1) buy a car older than 2003 or a Yank tank (if there's a difference???) 2) turn it into a 'kit car' by adding wings. 3) disguise it as a corona virus - nobody will want to go near it let alone test it.
    Cheers, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mad smart person View Post
    Greetings All, by the looks of things there's three easy ways round this problem, at least? 1) buy a car older than 2003 or a Yank tank (if there's a difference???) 2) turn it into a 'kit car' by adding wings. 3) disguise it as a corona virus - nobody will want to go near it let alone test it.
    Cheers, Ian.
    It is a pre 2003 Yank tank - built on a chassis shared with the pickups but with an SUV/estate car body... But not technically a 'pickup'.