Thread: Front Engine Mount

Front Engine Mount

Finally got round to getting the front engine mount changed on my car. What a difference it's made! No more clonking when pulling away & the gear changes are smoother, as the engine doesn't rock around so much.

I bought the new mount thinking I could do the job myself! So I read the how-to on Evilution & thought "bit fiddly but doable". I jacked the car up really high, axle stands on fully extention. Slid under, looked up & thought how the hell!! Then my vertigo kicked in & the whole world started spinning. That's when I decided to get somebody else to do it.
    Quick phone call to Rob at S2smarts in Watford & the car was booked in. He told me this is a common occurrence with this job.
    Painfully slow drive round the M25 yesterday, took twice as long as it should of done, bloody traffic!
    The job took him about 30mins, amazing what having the correct equipment does.

It was great seeing Rob again & chatting about all the Smart events we used to go to back in the day, miss those days & seeing his fantastic ForFour race car which he races in the Britcar series. Serious bit of kit.

So thanks Rob@s2marts

They are a sod to get at (why I changed mine while I had the engine out for rebuild). A 30 minute change is outstanding!

Rob asked me if I wanted the whole mount changed, which would of taken a lot longer & risked sheared bolts in the engine block or just the half with the rubber, which is the normal choice. After we had examined the state of the metal bracket attached to the engine & found it to be in good condition, I decided to just have the half mount change.

That would make it a little easier. I have a photo of mine going back together and it was the front two bolts that were last to go in (the ones that go into the subframe) and they can be accessed from above with long extensions on a ratchet. I think aircon makes it more difficult though. My Pure never had that.

I did mine last year and included the PowerFlex bush, reckon it took me in total around 3hrs start to finish to do it as I had to drop the engine a bit on the right hand side (if looking at the car from the rear) to get at the top bolts properly (as my hands where too big to get in at the side).

Same as you it made such a massive difference to the way the car drove its definitely well worth doing- night and day difference
    Last edited by BobbaFett; 17-08-2020 at 02:03 PM.

I thought about the powerflex bushes, but thought the original mount was good enough for 100+K miles, so didn't bother.
    Do you think the additional mount was worthwhile? pros/cons?

For me the PowerFlex bush was worth it (a bit more responsive), I guess the only downside is that you feel the engine a little bit more when your stationary (general vibration and slight vibration through the steering wheel)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFett View Post
    For me the PowerFlex bush was worth it (a bit more responsive), I guess the only downside is that you feel the engine a little bit more when your stationary (general vibration and slight vibration through the steering wheel)
    Just what dry solder joints love!....