Thread: Quick 450

Quick 450

Quick 450.
    To 60 in about 4s, 100 another 3s later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjq3TVsAuhI

Wonder what bike engine is actually in it

Honda Blackbird.
    It's a mate's car and I've been in it. It's relentless!

Seems more sedate sound wise then other bike engine'd Smarts although you can't always tell from video clips

It is horrendously loud inside. I noticed how much more subdued it is in the video - almost civilised. It's noisier in real life than I could live with.
    It is though amazingly tractable. That point was proven to me when he started off from rest in second gear without any drama.

Is the speedo badly calibrated, or is the engine making considerably more power than it did in the bike? 160mph in a Smart 450 from a 137bhp Blackbird engine is somewhere between unlikely and impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    Is the speedo badly calibrated, or is the engine making considerably more power than it did in the bike? 160mph in a Smart 450 from a 137bhp Blackbird engine is somewhere between unlikely and impossible.
    When I was in it the speedo wasn't correctly calibrated so we ignored it. We got to the top end of 4th gear and reckoned that was around 110mph. When I posted the link I forgot about the calibration and suspect it is still as it was. I e-mailed him and asked but he's not gotten back to me yet!
    Top end of 4th in the video looks like 140mph so old calibration I think. It makes 185hp. Making the 110/140 correction, topping out at around 125mph seems more like it. It would take higher gearing (eg, it can start off in 2nd) but geared as it is, it is pretty rapid acceleration wise - and relentless with it.

Since I was in it, the engine has been rubber mounted so maybe quieter now that before.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    It makes 185hp.
    What did he do to it? That's a serious amount of power from a BB engine if not super/turbocharged.

Don't know. Maybe I misheard - seeing as I've just checked stock Blackbird output. I'll ask when next I see him.
    Whatever the power, it is seriously rapid.
    Maybe it is quieter now. When I was in it the engine was solid mounted. Now it's on rubber mounts.