Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - Ignition key stuck and can't close sunroof

Help - Ignition key stuck and can't close sunroof

Anyone experienced the key wont turn problem please? The key goes in OK but will only turn to centre. I tried graphite, jiggling it, turning on and off a hundred times !!! Airline down the hole, now penetrating fluid. Still the same. It seemed to go slowly stiff during the day, with the last time almost not working. Luckily its failed completely at home.

Have to laugh though as to make matters worse mines a Cabrio which has an open roof button on the key but you can't shut the roof without the ignition on !! Had to cover it with a tarpaulin last night, praying it does not rain 🙏😊

First thing is how do I close the roof. All the how to guides are for a 450 not a 451.

Second thing is the key issue. Apparently its only 40 for a replacement barrel from Smart matching my key assuming it is that. But to change the barrel you need to be able to turn the key to position 1 which I can't

Any advice welcome please.
    Last edited by zak99; 27-11-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: mistake

What position is the gear lever in?

Neutral. When the key moves to the central position it can move to all positions

Can you access the roof motor? Maybe you can apply 12 volts directly to the motor to close the roof ....

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    Can you access the roof motor? Maybe you can apply 12 volts directly to the motor to close the roof ....
    For the above, safer to energise the relevant circuit directly from the battery then use the roof switches. Via the appropriate fuse is where I'd look first.

OP: You probably need to dismantle the centre console where the ignition switch is and see if you can separate the lock part from the part below that does the switching. It's been a long time since I opened mine up so can't remember how easily - if at all - the lock and switch can be separated. For security reasons it may not be possible.

I can't help with the issues but while searching for an answer came across this video which shows a lot of the parts involved with the Cabrio roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Kmsz58sgg

Maybe of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    For the above, safer to energise the relevant circuit directly from the battery then use the roof switches. Via the appropriate fuse is where I'd look first.
    I didn't answer this earlier as I was on my phone ... easier on a laptop.
    I'd have thought that if the OP was able to 'energise the relevant circuit etc' then he'd have done so. My only experience of roof motors is on a Roadster & it would have been straight forward to put 12 volts across the motor to move it. As the roof of the OP's car is (was?) open, then it'd be very easy to close it operating the motor directly.

I didn't answer this earlier as I was on my phone ... easier on a laptop.
    I'd have thought that if the OP was able to 'energise the relevant circuit etc' then he'd have done so.
    I don't think he's gone that far - still at the hoping the key will turn stage.

My only experience of roof motors is on a Roadster & it would have been straight forward to put 12 volts across the motor to move it. As the roof of the OP's car is (was?) open, then it'd be very easy to close it operating the motor directly.
    Straight to motor bypasses the controls for stopping it when it reaches its closed position. I wouldn't want to risk overshooting and jamming/breaking something or overloading the motor. Possibly though, the stop control (if it resides in an ECU) won't work without the ignition on so something more brutal required.
    Isn't there provision for manually manipulating the roof? Safer than risking screwing up an ECU by applying currents where not welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post

Straight to motor bypasses the controls for stopping it when it reaches its closed position. I wouldn't want to risk overshooting and jamming/breaking something or overloading the motor. Possibly though, the stop control (if it resides in an ECU) won't work without the ignition on so something more brutal required.
    Isn't there provision for manually manipulating the roof? Safer than risking screwing up an ECU by applying currents where not welcomed.
    obviously a certain amount of care & common sense is required .....

and there's no manual option for a Roadster's roof .... in fact when was the last time you saw a sun roof with a manual mode ie somewhere to stick a screw driver? Last time I saw that was on an Opel Monza ;-)

and there's no manual option for a Roadster's roof .... in fact when was the last time you saw a sun roof with a manual mode ie somewhere to stick a screw driver? Last time I saw that was on an Opel Monza ;-)
    On a 450.

https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guide...o-roof-control