Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - Ignition key stuck and can't close sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Well .... there you go .... I'm sure the OP would have liked that link the other day when his roof was open.

I doubt it..... He has a 451 which has a different roof mechanism from a 450. I don't know of any similar how to for the 451, so if he has figured it out, maybe he can post some details.

John

If you put your location in your profile then there may be some local help. I have a gear lever and ignition lock with two keys going spare.

Thanks folks. No further forward. Yes its a 451 so apparently no manual override for the sunroof. I could be wrong but I think there are pairs of separate motors for the rear roof operation and also for the forward section of the roof. If I knew where to power it from I may be tempted to have a go, but I don't know. (edit wrong, there is just one pair of motors)

As for the key, no change, I have a replacement barrel ordered from Smart but I now think its likely not the barrel but below that, maybe the relationship between ignition key and shift mechanism. Maybe theres a micro switch. From advice elsewhere I disconnected battery in hope of it all resetting but no joy. I'm stumped

I'm in Essex near Maldon
    Last edited by zak99; 30-11-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Will have another look today. Following on from lancepar's youtube link I also saw this one below. I'd prefer to fix this the key thing or find a workaround before messing with the roof (although there are now black clouds looming !!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbwU6v9-mXs

After watching that, (especially at around 11 mins) I'm now back to thinking it could just be the ignition barrel. Question is how do I get the barrel out if it will not turn to position 1.

Quote Originally Posted by zak99 View Post
    Thanks folks. No further forward. Yes its a 451 so apparently no manual override for the sunroof. I could be wrong but I think there are pairs of separate motors for the rear roof operation and also for the forward section of the roof. If I knew where to power it from I may be tempted to have a go, but I don't know. (edit wrong, there is just one pair of motors)
    Best bet as far as I can see is make up a small jumper lead and with one end connected to the battery positive, find the fuse for the roof, remove, insert the other end of your jumper cable than try the switch to close the roof. Unless you can see which side of the fuse box goes to the battery and which feed the rest of the car, you may have to try again with the jumper on the other terminal the fuse connects with.
    If that fuse is already live though, the current then has to pass through the ignition switch - stalemate. More likely the fuse is only energised when the ignition is on so bypassing ignition switch should work.

Quote Originally Posted by zak99 View Post
    As for the key, no change, I have a replacement barrel ordered from Smart but I now think its likely not the barrel but below that, maybe the relationship between ignition key and shift mechanism. Maybe theres a micro switch. From advice elsewhere I disconnected battery in hope of it all resetting but no joy. I'm stumped

I'm in Essex near Maldon
    It could be either. I skimmed the video you linked but didn't notice if dissembling the big module first required turning the key. If not then opening it up looks like the way forward. If there isn't a method that lets it open for your scenario then replacing the whole thing would be required - surely not!

I would try disconnecting the battery positive then run a positive wire from the battery to one of the ignition controlled spare fuse places on the edge of the SAM.

That should power up all of the ignition controlled devices I think.

No liability accepted.

Obviously with a suitable fuse, perhaps 10 amps or so and make sure everything else (wipers, fan etc) is off.

Zak,
    I've had a look at the Gear shift Module Video, Firstly he took it to pieces with one hand, should be easy peasy with two then, Oh no I wouldn't fancy trying with another pair of helping hands

Anyway, assuming the centre console gear surround can be removed easily to give access to the module itself and then looking at 1:20 to 2:00 secs on the video one might be able to release the ignition barrel as described by pushing in the securing indent on the barrel side. I dunno.

I've been asking my local Smart Indie for an answer to manually or electrically closing the roof but not had a reply yet.

Lance

Had a reply from Smart Indie and he is not aware of a manual soft top close for the 451, but there are two fuses, didn't say where.

Suggested removing the SE module to sort the lock to enable the position one to be selected to get the ign' barrel out.

Last edited by lancepar; 01-12-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks so much for all the research and advice folks. A mechanic friend came this evening and carefully drilled the barrel out from the top with increasing drill sizes and finally with a monster drill until it would turn to position 1 and then we were able to push in the release pin and pull what was left of the barrel out. Yay the sun roof is shut and I can drive with a screwdriver and the key laying by the transponder I have a barrel matching my key already on order from Smart for 40 plus vat.

Whoop whoop I'm happy.

Thanks again

Result!
    Nice when the end's in sight - an absolute ballache until then.