Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil light keeps coming on and off randomly...

Red face Oil light keeps coming on and off randomly...

Hello!

I hope everyone is well. It's been a long time since I've logged in or owned a Smart, but I'm back, and have a wee problem - well I hope it's a wee problem.

Last month I bought a 2012 SMART FORTWO 1.0 Pulse MHD 2d 71 BHP and last week the red oil can light has been coming on randomly and at times flashing.

The place I bought it from checked the oil level, coolant level, pressure tested it, and reported back that everything looks ok and there are no leaks or concerns.

Is there something else I should be getting checked just in case? I don't want to cause any damage to the engine and of course I want to be driving safely.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/help.

Well just checking that there is oil in it is the first step (just because it is easy to do). What you need to know is how much oil is it using per mile - That can only be found out by making a note of how much oil is in it currently, then driving something like a 100 miles and seeing how much oil you have to put in to bring it back up to the level you started at. Not something a garage is going to do unless you specifically ask them to do that.
    Reasons why the oil light might be coming on.

Faulty oil sensor - cheapest reason
    Worn main bearings or Big ends in the engine - expensive reason
    Going to assume there are no oil leaks or the garage would have said so.

Others might give you a longer list but those should give you some sleep less nights so I won't add any more.

John

Could also be the cable to oil pressure sensor that is touching ground causing oil warning light to turn on.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Thanks very much guys. I'm hoping that it's an inexpensive option. The place I bought it from have asked that I leave it in again as they think maybe it's a sensor issue and they're willing to fix it. I just hope that's all it is. I'll report back once I get a chance to drop it back to them and get it back.

when my Roadster started to do the same I replaced the oil pressure sensor - it's cheap & easy to fit - no difference.
    Removed the sump pan & found a load of instant gasket clogging up the oil suction strainer, removed it & cleaned it up & refitted - no difference.
    Turned out to be, as Heinkeljb suggested above main bearings. As it was the cam chain, cam sprocket & crank sprocket were all goosed too.
    s later .... it was sorted.

Ah crap! I'm really hoping not but thank you for the heads up. Now praying to the Smart gods that it's just a temperamental sensor
    Last edited by gurlsm@rter; 04-02-2021 at 09:40 PM.

Is it more prone to the problem than at other times?
    Is it worse when up to heat?
    Does it occur during heavy cornering, braking?

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Is it more prone to the problem than at other times?
    Is it worse when up to heat?
    Does it occur during heavy cornering, braking?
    It does seem to occur when I brake heavily. I'm still getting used to it I guess as I drove a Mercedes C Class estate beforehand which is such a smooth drive in comparison to the Smart...

I haven't even looked at heat. I'm a complete novice when it comes to cars.

Okay, so the oil light seems to be coming on about 8 minutes into my journey...it flashes on and off and sometimes stays on without flashing. Tried changing my braking style from foot heavy...not sure I achieved that but did try not to.
    It's not sounding good is it?

Is the oil level correct? Absolutely correct?