Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overheating in the Summer

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post

The aircon condenser was punctured before I bought the car, so it is tempting to put a used one in at the same time, but only if I can find one for peanuts
    Is it in front of the coolant rad blocking airflow?

I suspected it might be, so I've replaced it with a brand new one, bought from one of the very helpful people on this forum

I can't believe how light the main rad is, I'm not convinced it was causing the overheating as it seemed to be in pretty good condition when I removed it

However the new rad was only 90 so can't really complain
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

My experience with mine was that it never overheated on the move - only stationary. Twice during MOT emissions tests and once stuck in heavy snow with chains on trying to get moving. Even then it was less overheating than just the front fan coming on (4 blobs on the temp gauge).

Should have mentioned mine never had air con - so no air con rad to obstruct coolant rad.

Mine has an aircon and this summer started overheating. Once got to 5 blobs, without the fan kicking in. Before that the fan was constantly running with AC on, and now nothing. I've replaced the thermostat and the fan itself but still no go. Anything else I can check ? As far as I know there's no relay for the radiator fan.

Check ALL the fuses. Easier than trying to work out which one to check!
    Check the wiring to the fan for continuity.
    Check the water pump - they fail.
    Check both Rad's for clogged up fins.

John

I have pressure in the system so I guess the water pump is fine. Radiator cleaned while changing the fan. Will check the fuses again because why not

Radiator cleaned while changing the fan - Did you flush the rest of the system while you had it in pieces? I.E. did you take the hose off the water pump and actually put water down the pipes to see if it came out nicely? Did you take the thermostat off the engine block and flush water through the engine?
    If you are registering "overheating" then either the thermostat is faulty or you have an air lock / restriction in the system or your water pump is not working correctly.

John

Quote Originally Posted by sasklacz View Post
    I have pressure in the system so I guess the water pump is fine.
    Do you mean pump isn't leaking as the system is maintaining pressure?
    The pump doesn't pressurise - only circulates. And it's not unknown for impellors to lose their bond with the shaft and sit there idle.

I seem to recall radiator fan should run continuously if you disconnect electrical plug to coolant temperature sensor. Disconnecting plug on IAT sensor should have same effect for intercooler fan.

450 models with a ZEE unit have relay for radiator fan easily replaceable inside Zee. I assume models with SAM will also have relay operation of radiator fan housed somewhere inside SAM unit or perhaps externally? Maybe some of you know where?

Your head gasket may have blown if temperature goes very high and there is excessive pressure in coolant system.

What I would do first is simply to bleed cooling system by lifting coolant temperature sensor with expansion bottle cap off, then top up as required and go for a test drive.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG