Thread: ABS/ESP unit.

ABS/ESP unit.

Previously (months ago), the dash lights for ABS/ESP were permanently on and codes showed two faults in the control module. Tried again (recently) with the diagnostics with control module connected electrically but detached from the valve block and the previous codes have gone but 'ESP failure to communicate' showed and didn't return when cleared. Reassembled the whole thing today (the control module had been off the car) and when I did even without the ignition on I could hear and feel activity in the unit and it heated up (where the electronics are situated).
    Can I assume at this point that the control module is dead in the water?

Please let us know how you resolved this as I also have an ABS system that the diags can't see (in a 452)
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

No resolution. And as the module is a 1700 replacement it ends the life of that particular smart.
    I was getting codes then I opened it up.... The 'ESP failure to communicate' message appeared when the module was attached at its plug but not fixed to the valve block. There is, I think, an electrical connection between the two. Maybe that was where coms were lost. Anyway, when the module was re-fitted to the block the heating up was enough to signal it is kaput. Though possibly I caused its ultimate demise by opening it up.

A very helpful Roadster dismantler is sending me a complete unit on a sale or return basis for just 40

I'm hoping that I'll be able to plug it in and then check whether it's visible to the diags, there should be enough movement in the loom

The car was laid up for about a year, after some front end accident damage, I expect it's been inoperative since then

One other thing, the ESP/ABS fuse had blown, but replacing it had no effect
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16