Thread: Smart vacuum slab lifter - cutting edge technology

Hybrid View

Smart vacuum slab lifter - cutting edge technology

Hi folks.

Made this contraption last week. I always wanted one like this but those commercially available cost an arm and a leg.

Allows lifting and laying full size slabs without breaking your back.

Also single man operation. Vacuum is provided by a domestic Hitachi vacuum cleaner.

Above image shows the underside of suction head. A 3 mm thick rubber sheet is held in position by a worn out 350 mm diameter diamond cutting disc. That is main reason why this is cutting edge technology.

Will soon add a short video showing contraption lifting a standard 60 kg 2x3 foot concrete slab.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Looks good, are you going to market it?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    Looks good, are you going to market it?

John
    Of course not but anyone can make their own provided they have the necessary skills.

I made this slab lifter out of scrap wood, 18 mm plywood, a twisted 2 by 4 stud, 3 mm rubber sheet and a worn out diamond cutting disc. Also a short piece of 1 1/4" solvent weld drain pipe.

Below you can see the contraption in action:

That's clever.

I could have done with that the other week when I moved and relaid some Council (heavy) 3x2's.

Bostin

The heavy duty 900x600 concrete slabs around here are 63 mm thick and weigh 77 kg each whilst the standard 50 mm thick slabs typically weigh 60 kg, although slightly heavier when freshly cast.

I load tested my contraption. Had my wife standing on top and jumping on a standard 60 kg slab lifted with this contraption. Static load at least 60 kg plus 55 kg so should have no problem lifting the heavy duty council slabs.

One thing I noticed when relaying slabs for a friend is the slab lifter has enough suction on slabs such that I can pound a proud sitting slab deeper to be level with surrounding slabs.