Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Oil Filter Question?

Question Smart Oil Filter Question?

I've seen convertors to fit a standard Oil filter to the Smart. My question is, are the standard ones that bad, will I notice any difference if I fit a better one? I've heard it's a paper filter (don't know if this is 42, roadie or both?), that can't be good (bad enough for the air filter let alone oil!)!?

Is the smart the only car to use paper filters, what happens if it got torn?

Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm asking as I've changed the air filter already and I just want the best for the car.

Thanks all in advance!
    Brake for the lights, not for corners!

To repeat what I wrote on mania.

You get a paper filter in all smarts, like you say, not the best filtering medium.

You won't NOTICE any difference by fitting the adapter but your engine will.
    The main thing with the proper canister filters is the anti drain back valve.

Imagine all of the microscopic metal swarf that makes its way into the filter, when you turn the engine off you will get a small amount of drain back into the sump, this oil movement can draw a lot of the swarf back out of the filter and into the car again.

The secondary plus on the can filters is the bypass valve. Oil systems can pack 10psi for every 1000rpm so theoretically the smart oil system can flow at nearly 60psi. If the standard filter gets blocked it will starve the engine of oil which is worse than pumping dirty oil around it. The canister filters open a bypass valve if they become blocked to get around this.

The other advantage is that the screw on canister filters are easier to change, cheaper to buy (although the adapter isn't cheap) and they filter down to a much smaller micron level than the standard.

An added plus is that once you have this adapter it is relatively easy to add a thermostatic controlled external oil cooler.

HI everybody .

@ Evilution .

I have bought the oil filter adapter, type M20.

I want a very goog oil filter now. What oil filter do you recommend to me?

In your site you tell the white oil filter is better than blue one.

In Italy I need part code of white one.

I should go to Subaru Dealer and buy an oil filter?

In other words I need informations about oil filter part code for my oil filter adapter.

See you

As I developed this kit I recommend a Honda motorcycle filter. Its code is MM9 and its for a fireblade
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Big Performance
    As I developed this kit I recommend a Honda motorcycle filter. Its code is MM9 and its for a fireblade

Thanks Big,

but I need more informations:

1) Can I use MM9 oil filter with M20 oil filter adapter?
    2) Why use a motorcycle filter instead of a normal car filter?
    3) I have found several MM9 filters: 15410-MM9-405, 15410-MM9-P01, etc.. What is that mentioned by you?

Cheers .

Ians conversion uses 15410-MM9-P03 (which is the Honda MM9 Filter)

15410-MM9-003
    15410-MM9-405
    15410-MM9-305
    15410-MM9-P00
    15410-MM9-P01

Have all superseeded over to 15410-MM9-P03 so they will all fit... but must be old stock as they changed to the P03 about a year ago or more.

Who knew working in a bikeshop would help on a Smart Car Forum.... my time to shine has arrived... ill now bask in the glory! HAHA!

Must have been longer than a year cos I knew somehow it was a P03!

Kate

The P03 filter has been about since about 2000 i think.... but its been just over a year or so since all the others were cancelled from production!

What filter does your filter adaptor use that was in the display cabinet??

P.s... The new online shop looks good! Shame no Paypal for us ebay wheeler dealers Haha!

Paypal costs loads for us to use for big items, if paypal funds are burning a hole just drop us an email & I'll send you an invoice to pay on!

We usually use the same filters as a forfour, taller than a blade filter but a bit skinnier, we have got a blade one on order to try cos we think it will fit too.

Kate