Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SAM Unit in my ForTwo

New SAM Unit in my ForTwo

Hey there, well after having some fun and games with my fortwo, it appears the sam unit is gone/well going lol Am happy for smart to replace it - but does this indicate I have a leak? It doesnt look like a roadster pmsl!! Or is it just one of those things? Any of ur thoughts wud be appreciated, thanks!!!
    The original all white viper smart!

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
    Well, it your carpet is dry, I wouldnt think it's a moisture thing ... What was wrong with the SAM ??

There's one on EBAY atm, but I think Vodka Viper is a G1, so it won't fit ...

damian aka LucidSmart

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

If Vodka Viper is a G1, it doesn't have a SAM unit at all, you need a ZEE unit.
    Not even the whole unit, the main electrics are a small box that slides in the side.

I'd be surprised if it was knackered, never jeard it before.

i didnt even know SAM units could go on a fortow i thought it was just a roadie problem as they prone to flooding more

Hope the Viper is bk to his normal self asap hun then you can come up here and visit me n puddlejumper
    Puddlejumper, Smart Car Club Member & Smart Fortwo Pure driver!!!

Well they said it was definatley the electrical control unit that had gone and that was the SAM lol! No-one mentioned a ZEE unit to me. Got to take my keys in when the viper goes in to be fixed so they can re-code them after fixing him. Is this sounding right? Or are they hoping its the unit as they dont know what the fault is?

Just want the car back to normal.
    The original all white viper smart!

The unit is known as the central electrics module, it sits in the fuse box & yes they can & do go on the early Smarts, we keep a couple in stock as it's loads cheaper to fit one then deliver the car to Smart for coding than pay their charges for a very simple job!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTIE
    Well they said it was definatley the electrical control unit
    The ECU, that's a totally different thing altogether.

ECU is in the airbox (well screwed to the side of it) the SAM/central electrics module is in the fuse box under the dash.

I've not known an ECU to pack up but have seen a couple of SAM/CEU's need replacement. They do funny light flashy things, keys stop working & then diagnostics reports hardware faults!

Kate

If your diag socket is by the steering wheel then it is a sam, if its not then you have a zee. Both do the same thing anyway.

sam

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlejumper View Post
    i didnt even know SAM units could go on a fortow i thought it was just a roadie problem as they prone to flooding more

Hope the Viper is bk to his normal self asap hun then you can come up here and visit me n puddlejumper
    I was just told my SAM needs to be replaced when i go to start car the dash lites come on i hear clicking in the back and nothing happens itwill not start